Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed Problem

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi i recently switched to brighthouse and got a buisness connection (T1) but im only getting 6-13kbs a second im pretty sure it should be around 300kbs+ but im not sure i tried to get some help from them but all they tell me is "its your router" when it isnt because i had t1 before them with another company and i would get almost 800kbs... also.. if me and my brother send files to each other on msn we get super speed lol for instance i can send him a 2gb file and itll be done in about 40mins to a hour but it took me almost 20-40hours to download it on t1 :) also ive been to several sites to get a free speed test...

And they all say im at T1 speed and my download speed is 600kbs upload speed is 800kbs but i dont get anywhere near that speed im not sure what it is if its my computer or somthing else also while i play online games i get severe lag which i never had before with my other company.. and my firewall says im only at 46.7kbs right now :tazz:

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
are you sure you're not confusing "bits" with "bytes?"

jamesinthebox

jamesinthebox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have you try something different then MSN to send files ??

Do you have any P2P files share programs running in your computer??
P2P programs can kill internet speed real bad.

Maybe you have a bad CAT5 wire between the modem and/or router ?? :tazz:

Also Test your Router and/or Modem by using the PING command in the CMD to make sure there is no packet loss.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:tazz: well i didnt get what you said about the cat5 thing but ermm i tried ping and it brings up a bunch of other stuff -t and etc

Edited by SirNight33, 12 January 2006 - 10:30 AM.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I still have a problem with my internet speed also i found out that i dont have brighthouse i have RoadRunner so i went to there site looked at some technical help and found two things on packet loss and slow speed i think one of them was MS/MSV or somthing to do with reseting the default values of my speed but it didnt actually tell me where to go to do it lol..

Also i tried ping www.msn.com wouldnt work so i did a foreign site the one i usally am on
www.e-games.com.my there was no packetloss and i think it was 200ms..? then i did ping n-50 www.egames.com.my to check for ping or somthing i forget and it was 240ms-300ms and it said my average was 250ms im not sure if thats normal or not for T1 it doesnt sound normal but then again i dont no what im talking about also i went to Control Panel>Network Connections>Double-Clicked my connection and it says my speeds at 100mbs i think thats 100megabytes a second im not sure? but i think thats good but the problem is i dont get the speed its saying i have...

And ive ran some spyware programs but it seems that i dont have any but i have noticed i downloaded google toolbar and yesterday it only had 10popups but now its at 157 blocked which i dont understand because my firewall has a AdBlocking software so google shouldnt have any unless its getting past my firewall so could it be Ad-Ware or some sort of virus thats slowing my speed down :)

ALSO i forgot to mention im on a router with my bros pc and my sis laptop :tazz:

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:tazz:

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I seem to have another problem now my speed wont go over 30kbs wich is really crap because ive got T1 it should be ALOT higher also im dling from a Miami server thats really close to me my friend has ASDL and hes getting about 80kbs i should be getting more speed then him shouldnt i?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Please repost this in the Networking forum and I will be happy to assist

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking forum.

Please request that these be moved rather than starting a new thread.

ScHwErV :tazz:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry bout that ScHwErV.. we already started a new post and have the troublshooting going... here is the link if you can somehow merege it into this post, or just remove this post and let us run with the new post.

http://www.geekstogo...lem-t91995.html