Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Port Installing Printer

• Please log in to reply

GeriatricJamesBond

GeriatricJamesBond

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been working on this for three days and am really about to pup :tazz: ,Ok here is how the problem started and what I have done- My mother-in-law convince there was a virus in the printer ran a search and deleted everything to do with it the key word being LEXMARK, problem starts upon trying to reintall the printer I get the message Specified port unknown (and I am sorry about this) something about TCP/IP and OCH protocols or something of that nature ( I haven't got that one again) not found.....that could be cause i reset the settings for TCP/IP. I also tried unistalling the USB Ports (it is PnP sorry) and reinstalling them, under device manager it says the location of my USB is zero, now I don't know if that has anything to do with it... I am coming to the conclusion that there is a specific program or driver windows needs for printing ( only because I can't figure anything else out about it) I also have ran searches on google witch returned similar problems but nothing help, and ran searches on microsoft home page. Checked Lexmark's homepage I am at my wits end any Advice would be greatly appreiciated

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
hi,
ok try downloading the latest driver from lexmarx and install that. also, when you get to a screen that says something like " do you want to install from this computer or a network printer" make sure you click install from this computer instead of the network way. also go into device manager and look for any yello exlamation pionts, red qestion marks or X's. get back to me.

Bob :tazz: