Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 Removal Nightmare

• Please log in to reply

horlor44

horlor44

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a 3gb ,512RAM Laptop Running( pre loaded by the store) XP Home .I have just removed SP2 as it was running slow.It totally stopped the laptop\working,as the Windows logo flashed up it went to POST and cycled forever.So, I had to install my XP disc version for my PC.All seems OK (fingerscrossed and everything!! ) but now system restore don't work and I wanted it for safety...Message is.."Sytem restore is not able to protect your computer,please restart" which also does'nt work. Ive checked all the obvious stuff..I think, and reloaded windows components from XP disc..Any Ideas Anyone..Thanks

Advertisements

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok Guys , Its been a while ,and not a single reply!.Have I found a question not one geek out there can answer??I should not have used the Win XP upgrade disc to fix the problem caused by SP2 removal Right? Ideas please!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Have you tried the handy-dandy xp repair guide at the top of the forum?

(and no, you probably should not have done it that way)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello horlor44...

I'm not sure what all you have tried, but there are a few things we can look at...

Click Start, then Run, type services.msc in the Run box, and click "Ok".

Scroll down the list to "System Restore Service" Under the "Status" heading, is the service shown as "Started"?

wannabe1

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
No,system restore status is empty. If I should have re-loaded from my pre-installed XP(which I could'nt do,cos I could'nt get past POST without it cycling !)I may have been able to fix it .Is it possible to re-load the original XP?( on Laptop when bought ,no discs) as the XP Code on the bottem lable of the laptop no longer matches the version I installed on the laptop?Is my original copy of XP in a partition and how do I find it? ,or can System retore be added somehow?..Many thanks

Edited by horlor44, 04 February 2006 - 02:03 PM.

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I still have not received a fix for my ...No system restore .....for my laptop.is there nobody who knows how to fix it? please read earlier posts