Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs freezing randomly problem......

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hello. I've been going through this for about 3 weeks now. explorer.exe will freeze and I'd have to end it and start the exe again. And other programs will freeze. So, I thought it may be a malware problem, and my computer is totally free of malware and viruses...I then read somewhere that you can check the "event viewer" in the "administrative tools" in the control panel...So, in there, I clicked "Application"...Under the "Type" column..there's either "information" or "error"..I noticed the 'errors' and I then thought, I have a lead in my "Investigation" lol...The time of the event, I noticed is when the programs froze and what not.
Here's two different events that are "errors":

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: nview_info
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 1/12/2006
Time: 1:26:27 AM
User: N/A
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : rundll32: WAIT_TIMEOUT: (process 0x774) (thread 0x778) (wait 0x4b) (pwait 0x7)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: nview_info
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 1/12/2006
Time: 1:26:27 AM
User: N/A
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : IEXPLORE: WAIT_TIMEOUT: (process 0x8bc) (thread 0x1fc) (wait 0x4c) (pwait 0x2)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in the "event viewer", "Application" section, all the errors..the "source" column says "nview_info" ....So, I'm thinking that the NVIDIA Drivers that I updated about 3 weeks ago are the problem? Do I seem right? It did seem to happen after I upgraded the nVidia drivers. Previous versions I had of the drivers, I never ever experienced this problem..I hope a trusted tech will look at this.. thanks!! :tazz: .. I'd love to be relieved of this problem.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Heya pomp86!

Looks to me like you have a problem with Nvidia's nview desktop manager software. What I suggest you do is go to NVidia's Site, and download the latest drviers for your video card. Even if you have already downloaded the lastest drivers, I believe the newest are 81.89, download it again and reinstall it.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Noticed that you said you just recently updated the drivers from nvidia's website. I still say you should redownload and install them again, but if you continue to have the problem, then I suggest you uninstall it and install an earlier version and see how things go.

Edited by Fenor, 12 January 2006 - 05:57 AM.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hey Fenor!...

You probably just switched the two numbers but the latest nvidia driver version is 81.98 .. Drivers

So, what I should do is, download the installer for the drivers..and should I uninstall the current drivers, restart computer, then install the same version drivers again? Or should I not unistall the driverse and also notrestart the computer in between?..and just install the drivers while the current one is installedd? Thanks.. hope that's not confusing! Hope to hear back soon.

Edited by pomp86, 12 January 2006 - 10:28 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have still have the EXE file for the older version drivers that worked for you? If so then yes go and uninstall, through Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, the current Nvidia display drivers you have installed. Let the computer reboot itself and then install the old drivers.

Fenor

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
hey Fenor!..

kk...I came across this on the nvidia boards..and it has a link to the sun forum too in it...does it seem like the problem im explaining??

http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=10141

Hope to hear back! :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's worth trying since you always want the latest drivers, especially for a graphics card. Let me know how it goes.

Fenor

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
In the environment variables screen..there's two tables...user variables and system variables...where do you think I add that new variable?? Thanks..

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
I set that variable. I'll let you know in a day or two if it happens again or not!.. Lets hope not :tazz:

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Setting the environment variable unfortunately did not work :tazz:. On the java forum, it seemed pretty old since the dates are from septemeber 05..even though the nvidia forum one was in december. But yeah, the nview_info still caused errors..So, I'm going to rollback the nvidia drivers to the one before 81.95. I'm almost certain the problem started once 81.95 was installed.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Let me know how things go.

Fenor

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Fenor,

I just got around to rolling back my nvidia drivers lol. They are now at version 81.95. I'll let you know in a couple days how things have been going. Let's hope this annoying problem has gone away! lol..

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
hmmm...So, it wasn't crashing for like 16 hours or so since i backtracked to v81.67. ...And just now I tried to open NeroStartSmart.exe and it wouldn't open. So it was hanging, then it caused explorer.exe to hang and then firefox.exe and so nview_info was the source to it all. I think too that Nero is causing that since, the crashing hasn't happened in like 16 hours and just when I tried to open Nero, it crashed and started it again. So, I'm going to go through another day, and not open up Nero, and see if it crashes or not. If it doesn't..I think I'm just going to uninstall Nero, their new version is kind of odd the way it acts now and what not. I liked 6.6 better than 7. I don't know though. I'll get back to ya.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Fenor!!

Hey, what's up?? So yeah, it pretty much was a problem with a version of the nvidia drivers >= 81.95.....I'm using 81.67 currently....I haven't had any crashes of "nview_info" since, which I'm happy about :tazz:! woohoo lol...
I hope that the next version of the nvidia drivers will not cause this ANNOYING problem! lol..lets hope not...

-Mike

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That would be a good thing. :tazz: One thing I want to ask is did you enable nview desktop manager with the new drivers that were causing your problems? Could be that was the problem, maybe had a setting in there that just wasn't agreeing with your system........

Do you have it enabled now with the older drivers you are using?

Fenor

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Yes, I had the nView Desktop Manager enabled with the v81.98 version.....And yes, I currently have nView Desktop Manager enabled with the old version I'm currently using v81.67.. :tazz: