Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Odd Win 2000 Problem

• Please log in to reply

nortonbk

nortonbk

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I have a very odd problem with my compluter. I have never come across any thing like it. Once my computer has been up and running for a while usually a few minutes the problem starts. When I select an icon on my desktop the highlight will move from one icon to the next from right to left. Pretty much straight across my desktop. If I select the icon farthest left it works fine but if I select an icon on the right of my desktop it will move all the way to the left and stay. Likewise if I am in an explorer window and selct file, edit, view etc it will continually move from right to left.

I have ran Norton, spybot, adware, a2, and don't come up with any problems there.

Anyone have any ideas about this or seen such a problem. Its driving me crazy trying to figure out what is behind it.
Much Thanks,
Brian

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you mean tht if you click icon 1...it will cycle over to icon 10 (assuming there are 10 in a row) highlighting each icon individually on it's way down the lline? or if you click icon one, icons 1 through 10 get selected as if you had roped a lasso around them?

nortonbk

nortonbk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey dsenette, yes your first discription is correct it will move in a line highlighting each icon in that row one at a time until it reaches the far left icon then it stays.

Edited by nortonbk, 12 January 2006 - 09:52 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check and make sure that your right arrow key on your keyboard isn't stuck...or doesn't have anything stuck underneath it

nortonbk

nortonbk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK will ck but it seem if that was the case it would do it all the time and not only after the computer had been running for several minutes.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right....but...it's worth a check....(and honestly..i'm hoping it's something easy like that because....other than that...i'm at a loss) the only other theory is something malware...

which would have me to suggest the following

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

nortonbk

nortonbk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OKdsenette will follow suggestions. I'm at a loss also. I'v ran hijackthis and don't see anything obvious but I'll let the pros take a look after I follow your links. Never heard of such an odd probelm. Thanks for the help.
Brian