Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer in Cars.

• Please log in to reply

Quillander

Quillander

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello, I'm thinking of building a computer to my car, just to be able to store more than 650MB of MP3's. Will a "VIA EPIA 5000, EDEN/533Mhz"Will 533Mhz with 256MB RAM be enough to run "KNOPPIX LINUX" and Sound files. :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, most people who do that have mac minis, but why dont you just buy an mp3 player and a short range radio transmitter kit.

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry, how does a short range radio transmitter kit work and where can I get one... got plans to build one???

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They basically plug into the line out of your mp3 player then they transmit the music short range on the FM range and you pick it up on the car stereo. Ipod and creative i think sell them specifically for theiir products and you can put them together for other players relativley easily.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
he's talking about an fm transmitter...belkin makes a good one...most of the time they're in the same area as the headphones and mp3 player accessories.....i've got a 10 gig hard drive in my car that acts like a cd changer...it's called the "keg" i can't remember the company that makes it but it's marketed by kenwood...works with kendwood decks that have cd changer controls...it's nifty...you can get up to a 60 gig hd now i think...the only problem with the actual computer in the car...is having control over what's playing...and setting up the electrical so that it turns on and off properly...and the interface with the car...it's very complicated..

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you wery mutch, I think I have found something I can use. Here a link; http://www.ccrane.co...S110401WSDG0100

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that would work http://www.bestbuy.c...mcat33100050012 though..these are more geared to cars...alot smaller builds

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i would get something smaller that looks more at place in the car liek the ones Dsenette linked to. They are pretty cool little gadgets, you can get actual car radios with HDs as well and fold out LCD screens things like that but this is the cheap way over the radio, its also cool as you can share your music in the office for example or use it as a quick way to get music through the hifi.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe you could even do your own in office djing...if the transmitter is strong enough

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, your own little boot leg radio that would be good.

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I will snoop around the internett awhile to find something smaller. Probably buy the "Dynex Digital FM Transmitter" it looks like the business to me. Big Tanks to you. :-)