Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen sometimes goes black

• Please log in to reply

Barbara81

Barbara81

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a 2nd hand laptop, a very old & simple one (Compaq Armada 1520D). It runs Win98SE, and has 2 gig, 32mb, PI, and a battery in good condition.

I only use it for studying, so I basically just use Word and Access.

Then sometimes, all of a sudden, while I'm working, the screen goes dark, as if it switches itself off (it's only supposed to go to standby after 3 minutes of non-action). It turns to this darkblueish color, not quite black.
When I adjust it a little, like push it back & forth a bit, it usually snaps back on.
Or not, yesterday I found myself restarting it about 4 times before anything happened :tazz:

I wonder what that could be about? A problem with the screen itself, or something in the videocard or other hardware?

Hope someone can help :)

xx Barbara

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would go with either video card...or the monitor itself (more importantly the connection to the MOBO)....try updating the video card driver (which may be hard with an older computer)... there are ways of opening up the laptop to see if there is a krimp in the cable or a tear where the monitor is...or...if that connector is loose...but...laptops are notoriously hard to open up

Barbara81

Barbara81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, thanks for the info :tazz: I'll try to see what I can do about it, and consider if it's worth repairing.
By the way, very fast reply! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
monkey power baby...monkey power