Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Upgrade Question(s)

• Please log in to reply

protein25

protein25

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

This is my first post at this web site. Basically I am looking for advice on upgrading my computer, mostly because I want it to be able to handle intense gaming. I am anticipating one game in particular that comes out in March (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) that is going to be extremely graphic intensive. My specs:

Motherboard: Intel D845EBT
CPU: 2.26 Ghz P4 533Mhz FSB
RAM: 1GB
GPU: GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128mb DDR RAM (4x AGP slot)

I know that my video card is practically outdated, and I would like to upgrade. I am not too worried about budget, so I am really looking for the best AGP card that is available. I have looked at the GeForce 6800 series as well as the top of the line ATI AGP cards (x850's). I am not certain which way to go. Also, my motherboard is 3 years old and the FSB is only 533Mhz. How big of a factor is this going to be in regards to graphics capabilities with the newer cards, and will this affect what card I should get? I am really not an expert on this.

Secondly, would upgrading my CPU help at all for gaming? I have done some research and have found that my board can support up to a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4. I have no idea how much that would help or if it would be worth it.

Finally, my power supply is only 300 watts. I have noticed that most, if not all, of the new video cards require a power supply with that least 350 watts. Should I get a new power supply, and if so, what is recommended?

Like I said, I have no spending budget, but I would prefer to just keep my current computer and upgrade it as opposed to buying an altogether new one. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Edited by protein25, 12 January 2006 - 03:44 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
What I saw is that your video card is at 4X. Does this mean your motherboard is only 4X?

If so I would get a new motherboard so that you can get pci express which is 16x. Agp 8x mobo would be a step above 4X but agp is starting to die and almost dead. Pci express is the new era. Your cpu would do pretty good on the new game your waiting on but that 4x agp slot "if it is" and the 533mhz fsb togther will cause choppy gameplay in games with the new graphics engines.

You cant keep that old cpu either with the new pci express mobo. You would have to get a new cpu, mobo and video card. Your ram would be okay to keep even though it is probably pc 2100 or pc 2700. Its best to be at atleast pc 3200 memory today in time but pc 2100 or 2700 is still ok.. Its more about how much memory you have not necessarily what standard. "Standard" meaning pc 2100,pc2700,pc3200 etc..

The cheaper method would be to get just a video card obviously. Find out if you have agp 8x support and you will be okay for a year atleast.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I found out its only agp 4x, that really sucks.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You basically need to put a new system together if its only AGP4x its the easiest way.

protein25

protein25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was hoping I wouldn't have to, but it sounds like it is the best way. Any suggestions on what is the best board to start with?