Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XBOX LIVE HELP

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

I have a Linksys Wag54G Router my computer is wired to my ethernet port. Is there anyway I can split this so i can use the net and xbox live on the same wire. Can i get a splitter etc? Hope you can help.

Thanks

Andrew

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does your router only have one ethernet port? that's kinda weird...if it does..you can get a cheap ethernet hub and just plug it in between the router and the other devices (pc and xbox)

nerrad

nerrad

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Andrew,

This is a wireless router and only has one RJ45 port am I correct?

If so the most easiest option would be to purchase a wireless network card install in into your pc and have a wireless connection from your pc to the router and then use the now spare rj45 cable to link to your Xbox from your router.

Doing this will enable you to surf the net and use Xbox live simultaneously.

Alternatively you may be able to “Daisy Chain” a switch from the routers RJ45 port

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
yep exactly what i thought. Just bought a belking usb 2.0 wifi adaptor. That any good? Trouble is the wifi signal is never any good where my computer is based. Any ideaS?

Andrew

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you want both machines to be wired....then the ehternet hub would be the way to go

nerrad

nerrad

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Generally wired instead of wireless is much more stable and reliable (at least in my experience) However if you are only using it for casual internet usage and not large volumes of downloads then it should be ok.

Belkin is a good quality brand and as long as you have got the adapter that is compatible with either 11Mb/s 802.11b or 54Mb/s 802.11g specification then you shouldn’t have any trouble. As for the signal if it’s that bad maybe you should consider the daisy chain method? You can pick up a cheap switch/ethernet hub for about £10.

Edited by nerrad, 12 January 2006 - 04:36 PM.