Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with my ATI Radeon x300!

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
as long as your card is an AGP card you should be fine. Just make sure you buy an AGP card and NOT a PCI express

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its odes matter as that indicates the speed of the slot, ive got a link somewhere i cant remeber it off the top of my head gimme a min. cant seem to find the site i was thinking of it was the only one that had a good explanation and the pictures, im sure ill come across it, try the software.

You can also use some of the system detection software to find out, cpu-z should tell you if it doesnt try pc wizard 2006 or sandra.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 January 2006 - 11:13 AM.

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I found one on ebay but it says thats its s PCI and you said that I have a AGP... heres the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/.....AMEWA:IT&rd=1

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
the brown slot is your AGP slot. the 3 white slots are PCI slots. the graphics card your looking at will go into one of the white slots, and you will sacrifice quite a bit of performance switching from AGP to PCI.

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So AGP is the best way to go?

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hey scott,
id like to read that article if you can find it. i always wondered why some agp cards would have three slots on the bottom and some would have two.

i never really paid much attention to it. ive always let newegg reviews and tomshardware act as my bible for gfx card buying.

but really. i never really cared how the cards worked. as long as they worked. and as long as they worked good xP

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So which do you recommend? AGP or PCI? cuz im really desperate to play Call of Duty 2...I'm a big gamer but not when it comes to computer.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

So AGP is the best way to go?

well not exactly. for your situation between pci and agp yes agp is the best way to go. pci express on the other hand is the newer technology which your motherboard doesnt have. as it is, pci express isnt all that much greater than agp, but it is the technology that has much room for improve as is dubbed the technology of the future which will gradually replace AGP technology in years to come.

personally, i eliminated my whole system and jumped the bandwagon to get all the newer technologies but it is very quite costly and as it is, it was quite unneccesary for me to do so.

for your situation, if all you are aiming to do is get a better gfx card so you can play call of duty and thats your only intention, than yes agp is the better way for you to go.

i wouldnt say its the best though, because there is always a greater technology out there.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
PCI-express has allready repolaced AGP and AGP is no longer in production the very last card that was made with AGP was the 6800GS, PCI-express is also vastly superior to AGP im many ways. But AGP is essentially a dead socket and no one makes anything new for it, you can still get AGP cards just because they made so many but its like the old athlon cpus people still try to get them but they havent been made in a while so the market is running on old stock.

AGP is the way to go short of a new motehrboard, which basically would mean a new PC, on order to play COD2 you are lookin at least an x700 an x300 is the cheapy basic card for systems that dont play much games but need a card.

The differnces in the slots is the speed, they came in several speeds, 2X, 4X and 8X there was also the AGP pro with the better power output. Ill try and find it although im not holding out to much hope, there are alot of similar sites and articles but none wuite as good alot of thm are a bit to basic and obviuosly no one makes new articles for AGP these days now PCI-E has been out for a while.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
aiyah!
AGP is already stopped in production??
and as for agp, they havent stopped making boards with agp slots on them have they?

bah. i learn something new everyday ^_^
but with cards like 7800 and x1800 series which are pci express, i can see that happening.

i just didnt think mainboard makers would eliminate agp so suddenly. i figured it would be a gradual process.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The different notches on the slot has to do with the voltage of the video card.

http://store.yahoo.c...15agpguide.html

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes they quit making motherboards with agp on them. Means that they dont make newer versions of motherboards with agp at all on them. The only agp mobos you will find will be older chipset motherboards. You can still find them on the internet, the manufactures just dont produce them anymore.