Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build; Need Advice

• Please log in to reply

Leon05

Leon05

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm building a new computer, with a budget between $1500 and $2000. I've got a lot of the essentials chosen, so I'd like someone to take a look at what I've picked out (mostly off of Newegg) and to give me any advice on what cooling kit, case, and power source to get, in addition to any advice on what I've already noted, in case any component is overkill/incompatible in comparison to the other components.

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface
Speakers: Logitech X-530 70 watts 5.1
Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR78256GTCOD2 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16
Monitor: NEC Display Solutions AS900-BK Black 19" CRT Monitor 0.25mm Dot Pitch D-Sub

Still looking at DVD/CD/Floppy Drives, shouldn't be hard to pick. Any suggestions on those welcome, too. Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really liked this case even if it is a steel case.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811125450

Along with it i bought a thermotake PS.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153023

Along with these two i also bought a NEC 3550 DVD-RW and a Lite-on CD-RW/DVD combo drives. I don't put floppy drives in puters anymore as thunb drives are easier and have more volume. The puter has been running a couple of months now 24/7 with no problems.

SRX660

DrMD

DrMD

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sounds like it will be a great machine. I am also a new computer builder and I had a good deal of trouble with the Asus Premium (also shopped Newegg, also saw the great deal that has been running on the Premium). Problems posting - See my recent posts here. Also, you may have some BIOS issues with the ASUS and the dual core depending on what the board ships with - may want to research this a bit or at least keep it in mind. Someone more knowledgable may want to comment here.

Got an Antec 550 watt power supply - works good so far - was a model designated as for SLI and has 6 pin power cords dedicated for the video cards.

good luck.