Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Internet sites and java

• Please log in to reply

mattmiles

mattmiles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
On my homepage - www.liverpoolfc.tv
the page when opened does not load fully-some pictures and ads are not displayed and i cannot open the links from the drop down menus, the bottom left of the page it jus says java script:;
this is the same with other pages

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Which browser are you using? Also, Win XPs SP2 has changed default security settings which affects loading images. Your site looked ok in FF.

mattmiles

mattmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Internet Explorer 6,the trouble is when i put my mouse over the page where there is a menu with - News,Match,Shop,Betting etc a drop down menu should appear but nothing does and at the bottom of the window it just says java script:;

Also what is Win XPs SP2?

Thanks for this help

matt

mattmiles

mattmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
im using Internet Explorer 6

on the webpage www.liverpoolfc.tv the menu along the top of webpage should create drop down menus when you put your mouse over the word,but when i do this nothing happens,and in the status bar all it says is java script:;

also what is Win XPs SP2?

thanks for your help

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

im using Internet Explorer 6

on the webpage www.liverpoolfc.tv the menu along the top of webpage should create drop down menus when you put your mouse over the word,but when i do this nothing happens,and in the status bar all it says is java script:;

also what is Win XPs SP2?

thanks for your help

View Post

OK. I was viewing with FF, but I have the same problem as you have except I get no javascript indication in status bar with IE6.0. IE is very forgiving and drop down menus should work. Viewing your page's source code, I didn't see any call out for the mouseover for these menus. Sorry, but I didn't spend much time, so let me know if you are using javascript or if it's in your css. I didn't see any external link to a script file nor any in your head or body tags. Now I can download your whole page (plus css file) and put it in my HTML Editor and work from there, but it's time consuming.

As to Win XP's SP2. It contains all of Micro$oft's critical updates. If you have automatic updates turned on and have been installing them, don't worry about it at this time. Made the comment without full information.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The site is working fine now. What did you do to fix it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry, but I can't take the credit for it. Went back just a few minutes ago and it looks like all the script codes for the menus have been uploaded to the site :

<script language="JavaScript" src="lfc_menu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" src="lfc_home.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" src="lfc_cookie.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" src="lfc_splash.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" src="livesplash.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

These were missing earlier.

With these it works fine in IE 6.0 and Firefox 1.0 now. If this isn't your site, then someone else corrected their mistakes. The page has no other errors but there are over 321 corrections that should be made to properly validate the page. It works so don't know how much the author cares to be in compliance wirh HTML 4.01.

Ron

mattmiles

mattmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i have sp2 from windows.

The site will still not load up correctly www.liverpoolfc.tv

I have seen that when i open Norton Personal Firewall and look at the sttistics tab, and then click view logs, then click on content blocking it has a list for this website and the reasons are ads and active x etc.

How can i disable this or change the settings so that the site isnt being blocked?

Thanks
Matt

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Matt :

I don't use Norton so can not give you specific instructions. Hopefully, someone will come along who will be able to help with specific steps. I'm sure there is a way in Norton to change permission for specific URLs.

I use ZoneAlarm and it is listed under Program Control>Programs where I can set the Permission level for all programs. Also. under the Privacy tab, I can control Ad Blocking, cookies, etc.. Possibly, Norton has a similar way of doing what you want.

Can only advise you to check Norton's Help file for changing program/URL permissions for Activex and Ad blocking. If this doesn't work with Norton, your Win XP firewall permissions may need to be checked.

Sorry I can't be more help at this point.

Ron