Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New XP install, no sound, slow

• Please log in to reply

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm in new territory here, I've been using win 98 since it came out, so I don't know much about XP. First of all my sound won't work, other than occasional weird sounds during booting. It wasn't working before I switched my OS so I think it's something besides that. Also I made sure it was connected properly. The sound settings say that my sound device cannot play sounds.

Another issue is how slow the computer is now. I'm running XP Pro so I was wondering if there are some things I can tweak to make it a little faster for gaming.

Also I can't turn off my computer now.

Edited by Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja, 12 January 2006 - 11:56 PM.

Advertisements

Absent

Absent

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
what do you mean you cant turn your computer off?
what kind of computer do have? (Ghz., RAM, Sound card, Harddrive, graphics card)
perhaps you have spyware or adware. download spybot search and destroy from
http://www.download....4-10122137.html
or adaware from http://www.download....ubj=dl&tag=top5
both are effective at finding malicious spyware

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have both those spyware programs so I don't think that's it. Also my specs are 640 MGs SDRAM and AMD 901 Mhz processor with a geforce FX 5200 and an 80 GB IDE HDD. The computer will get to the screen that says it is now safe to turn off your computer and then it just stays there, it won't turn off.

Edited by Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja, 13 January 2006 - 07:55 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, check the Device Manager for anything with a yellow or red mark beside.. Odds are, you need to install the drivers for your soundcard!!

As for the shutdown problem, boot into BIOS and make sure the ACPI option is enabled..

Then, go into Control Panel>Power Management.. click on the APM tab at the top and check that off to enable it..

Now try your shutdown!!

Murray

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I didn't see any marks in the device manager, and did you say you wanted me to enable Advanced Power Management?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What does device manager show for a sound card and,

ENABLE it !!

Murray

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I enabled APM. The device manager shows AWE64 16 bit sound/wavetable MIDI as well as legacy audio drivers and unimodem half-duplex audio device. Honestly I'm not even sure what sound card I have, or if I even have one. I haven't messed with that in a long time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have two audio adapters listed Creative SB AWE64 and Creative SB AWE64 wave table MIDI. Neither has any details.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The creative site has this as an end of term product, they have updates for 98SE but show none for XP

Ask them how to run it with XP

http://uk.europe.cre...upport/contact/

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
They'll probably just tell me to get a newer creative product, but we'll see. Anyway, what about using my onboard audio on the motherboard? It's a Chaintech 7AJA2 from 2001 so it should work with XP pretty well.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It could be worth loading the drivers from the CD ROM then going to Creative to download the updates, then going to Microsoft Update to see if there are any updates for the card, these will be in the optional ones

Your card is listed in other, then scroll down

http://www.creative.com/support/

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

If that does not go then boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up then look through the screens for onboard audio and set it as the device which has priority, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The AWE64 route is pretty much a dead end, the company apperently doesn't care about it anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll just order a new sound card from NewEgg, but until then I need to get my sound working. I went into BIOS and changed to my onboard audio. However, my onboard audio is not showing up as an option to switch to. I'll try some stuff, but I don't know if I'll get it to work.

Update: I can't get it to work. I think I need to focus on the fact that the sound just stopped working all of the sudden, even before the upgrade to XP. The sound test fails, so I'm not sure what would do all that. OK, sound stopped working, before OS switch, Drivers show up as normal, but computer fails sound test in sound settings, also switch to different sound device had no effect. This could be a problem with my actual speakers so I'll have to run some tests and see.

Update: Headphones don't work either. Also speakers make little, futile sounds occasionally.

Edited by Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja, 16 January 2006 - 12:02 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall the software then remove the soundcard with device manager, reboot, check the device manager to see the card re-installed, install the software