Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDDs on 3rd IDE not primary - does it make a difference?

• Please log in to reply

abbi

abbi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought a new PC and it turned out one of my HDDs was not connected (at all - no cables!). This has been fixed but I'm concerned as the HDDs are on the Third IDE master and slave rather than on the Primary IDE - will this affect performance?

I have nothing on the Primary IDE, the DVD/CDRW on the secondary IDE master and the HDDs on the third IDE master and slave. Also, due to the initial problem the operating system and programs are installed on the drive which is the slave.

The machine is a Pentium 3GHz dual core running XPMCE and has two serial ATA 250GB hard drives.

I am currently trying to get all this sorted out with the manufacturer, but I don't know if these things are issues or if I'm just worrying over nothing? Frankly if these things affect performance then they must be fixed.

Thanks
Abbi

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it shouldn't cause too much of an issue....but...whoever built that machine is an idiot....depending on the board....they may have used a slower bus speed on the 3rd ide channel...though that's unlikely...i bet the primary master ide controller is blue isn't it? how did they miss that?

abbi

abbi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
They missed the cables for the main HDD altogether - I think it's safe to assume they're complete idiots!

How can I find out about the bus speed?

Abbi

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you know what kind of motherboard was used you can google it and get the specs...the manufacturer's website will probably have the most detailed info