Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a super Computer

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, i was reading a computer magazine, i noticed alot of the worlds terraflopping super computers are actually just a huge number of pentium 2's, due to there admirable output, lost cost, low heat and low consumption, . I worked out to build a 4ghz machine with about a a gig of ram collectivly would cost about £100, just because im going to be bored over summer i was considering building one of these distributed super computers (on a much smaller scale ofcourse). The question i have is ofcourse, how do they get these machines all working on the same thing?

I can gather they probobly share the workload, i just have no idea how.

Anyone?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
some of them are using either 2000 advanced server or 2000 datacenter (or 2003 now)..if they are windows machines....some of them use UNIX....all of these OS's allow for Clustering...which basically causes the CPU's to all run in tandem...it's a fun (read complicated) setup..

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Beowulf ...good luck. :)

Beowulf.org is a collection of resources for the expanding universe of users and designers of Beowulf class cluster computers. These enterprise systems are built on commodity hardware deploying Linux OS and open source software...

Interestingly, Microsoft is working on a super computer version of Windows that would offer much of the same clustering ability. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Question is why would you want to, it would only be good to you for doing that folding stuff, other than that they are useless to an average punter.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
well, i like cool stuff, i think super computers are cool, itll be £100 probobly wasted, but if nothing else, i can slap it on my CV. Unless i dedicate it to the SETI program or make my own MMORPG yeah, it is going to be totally useless.