Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Files not Found - Win ME

• Please log in to reply

PikaNami

PikaNami

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,
I can't startup my computer. Even when I use a bootable floppy disk, and try to run windows from the MS-DOS prompt the computer will pause for a while, then say "Registry files was not found. Registry files may be inoperative for this session. XMS cache problem. Registry files may be inoperative for this session." Then it goes to a blue screen that says "While initializing device IFSMGR, The Microsoft Installable System Manager cannot find the helper driver. Please insure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted."
I know that I had several problems before this happened. I had several error messages with .DLL files. I know I had an infection with trojan.downloader.small(#38 I think). Also, I had recently deleted some old programs, also so the registry files may not have been changed to reflect those changes.
I downloaded and installed Microsoft DebugKit for Win ME, because I thought it would help me to resolve the DLL problems (now I think this program does something entirely different...oops). So when I tried to Debug when I had my next DLL problem, I could not get Windows to startup.
Seems like we have a lot of problems here. I'd really appreciate any help I can get!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

PikaNami

PikaNami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Can anybody help me with this? My mom is threatening to install everything from zero if I can't come up with something soon, wiping out all of my precious files that I (oops!) did not backup yet. . .