Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I get PC's run in parallel?

• Please log in to reply

tom_rocks

tom_rocks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi

okey, i have up in the attic enough bits of computers to make 3 working systems. This is as well as the one I use at the moment. I can give details of all of these if needed? I was woundering if was possible to run them all in parrallel, so the task is split between all 4 processors, the 'master' computer has access to all the hard drives and everything is displayed on and controlled by, one monitor one mouse and one keyboard. I am guessing that I will, amongst other things, need: a network hub, 4 network cards (which I have) all the cables (which I have) and a cluster compatable OS (i am guessing Linux might have somthing?). I might also point now that the processors aren't all the same - will this bugger the whole idea up? I also think that the 3 slave nodes will be set to boot up from LAN in the BIOS?
I f anyone has done this before or think they can help please help because I have never tried this before!

cheers, Tom

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know if this is what your looking for but take a look.

http://www.extremete...,1815797,00.asp

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah that would be an option, although im not sure if its specific , i know there is some specific software and ahrdware under development under the name "the grid" it allows for a more truer sense of multiple computer processing but its sitll under dsevelopment.

tom_rocks

tom_rocks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks that website is pretty much what i wanted to do, i skimmed through and it looks deffinitle possible, will read in more deatail and get cracking!