Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Express x16

• Please log in to reply

tr41nwr3ck

tr41nwr3ck

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi, I've been in the market for a new video card for awhile. My p.o.s. geforce fx5200 crapped out on me this summer with the nv4.dll blue screen crap. I was looking at EVGA's geforce 6600GTs on newegg. They have them in both AGP and PCI express x16 at the same price. I'm leaning toward the PCI version because all of the good reviews, but I don't even know if I have a PCI express x16 port on my computer. I know I have one AGP and a couple extra PCI slots, does anyone know how to tell if a computer supports PCI express? Is there a way to check without taking the computer case off?

Thanks,

-Jim

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You either have AGP or PCI- express if you have one you cant have the other as one a replacement for the other.

tr41nwr3ck

tr41nwr3ck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
so its a safe bet that since I already have an agp card on my computer that I don't have a pci express x16 slot? I guess I'll have to go with the agp geforce 6600 GT...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yup or an x700 they are just as good and usually cheaper or get an x800 if you can afford it they are much better.