Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2k server loses loging empty pass to other W2k PC

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Each time my Windows 2000 server SP get restarted, it "forget" the login to my main machine, a Windows 2000 SP 2 one. Maybe it just did not remember empty passwords logins, like administrator and no pass? Since for 4 other machines, all with Win XP and trodas:xxx logins it work just perfectly.

Is there are any tweak to fix this?

Like allowing in XP advanced security settings the empty password usage...? Anyone???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why in the world do you have a server with a null password on the administrator account? that's a very bad idea..also..it not remembering the username and password is a good thing....better security that way...i would suggest setting an admin password

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, but - why? This is my main machine and I did not need any pass there.
Why on earth everyhing must contain security and passwords? We there did not feel the need to do so... :tazz: It is more that enought that I can't disable the pass on NetGear routers/firewall ... :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....i guess in short..windows doesn't remember user accounts with null passwords...so..without setting a password..it won't remember the account name when you go to log on (of course there could be a local policy set as well that has it to "not show last user" but you would have had to set that)....sorry for sounding a little derogetory in my other post...if it is your perogative to have an unsecured home network..then that is ok if it works for you....just know that it's not a good idea

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well all other XP machine DOES remember the empty pass well, just the Windows 2000 SP3 server does NOT. And on my home network is not good idea to use any passwords, because it only limit, bother and distract me.

All I can come up with yet is:

net use x: \\trodas\D /user:administrator

...yet it allways asking me on boot for the pass to trodas\D, witch is the last thing I want to happen :tazz: