Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Update Problem

• Please log in to reply

fanton

fanton

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I decided to try Microsoft Update, rather than Windows Update. So I went to the website to authenticate and download. The download went alright, but the installation failed.
Here are the details:
It appears that at least one of the optional software downloads did complete succesfully. I found its files in C:\
while using microsoft update, I had left the windows update set to 'download automatically, notify when to install.' I noticed the yellow shield icon in the taskbar just when I was downloading from microsoft update. Could these two updates be disagreeing with each other?
Yellow icon is still in taskbar, waiting to install. Tried again to install through website, and through icon, no go.
I sent a trouble ticket to microsoft. no response in the said timeframe.

My question is, where are these downloaded files stored before installation? Can I delete them, and try the installation again? Or is there another action I should take?

F

ps. thanks geeks, for the awesome XP tweaks!! :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that yellow shield is the update notifier...when you click it it shoudl bring up a windows that says something like automatic install...or custom....have you tried both methods?

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey,
I turned off the Windows Automatic Updates, then went to the microsoft update website, and the downloads installed fine this time (fourth try)
I think there was a conflict between the windows update, and the Microsoft update.
Thanks,
F

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think (don't quote me on this) that to use the microsoft update..you had to get an update from the windows update page to allow the updater to work....i know that that's how it works with the WSUS (windows server update service)