Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed Problem

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi i recently switched to brighthouse and got a buisness connection (T1) but im only getting 6-13kbs a second im pretty sure it should be around 300kbs+ but im not sure i tried to get some help from them but all they tell me is "its your router" when it isnt because i had t1 before them with another company and i would get almost 800kbs... also.. if me and my brother send files to each other on msn we get super speed lol for instance i can send him a 2gb file and itll be done in about 40mins to a hour but it took me almost 20-40hours to download it on t1 also ive been to several sites to get a free speed test...

And they all say im at T1 speed and my download speed is 600kbs upload speed is 800kbs but i dont get anywhere near that speed im not sure what it is if its my computer or somthing else also while i play online games i get severe lag which i never had before with my other company.. and my firewall says im only at 46.7kbs right now

I have RoadRunner so i went to there site looked at some technical help and found two things on packet loss and slow speed i think one of them was MS/MSV or somthing to do with reseting the default values of my speed but it didnt actually tell me where to go to do it lol..

Also i tried ping www.msn.com wouldnt work so i did a foreign site the one i usally am on
www.e-games.com.my there was no packetloss and i think it was 200ms..? then i did ping n-50 www.egames.com.my to check for ping or somthing i forget and it was 240ms-300ms and it said my average was 250ms im not sure if thats normal or not for T1 it doesnt sound normal but then again i dont no what im talking about also i went to Control Panel>Network Connections>Double-Clicked my connection and it says my speeds at 100mbs i think thats 100megabytes a second im not sure? but i think thats good but the problem is i dont get the speed its saying i have...

And ive ran some spyware programs but it seems that i dont have any but i have noticed i downloaded google toolbar and yesterday it only had 10popups but now its at 157 blocked which i dont understand because my firewall has a AdBlocking software so google shouldnt have any unless its getting past my firewall so could it be Ad-Ware or some sort of virus thats slowing my speed down

ALSO i forgot to mention im on a router with my bros pc and my sis laptop

My speed wont go over 30kbs wich is really crap because ive got T1 it should be ALOT higher also im downloading from a Miami server thats really close to me my friend has ASDL and hes getting about 80kbs i should be getting more speed then him shouldnt i?

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello SirNight33 and welcome to G2G,

Now that we got you in the right forum I can help you Out. I need you to answer some quick Default questions first, then I need some Information from you network Setup. Here we go....

1) What Operating System are you using? (Please include any Updates or Service Patches)

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of your Modem.

3) What IP Configuration do you Use and What IP Configuration does your ISP reccomend? (DHCP / STATIC / ECT...)

4) What is the Model and Manufacturer of your Router / Hub / Switch? (Please also specify if using Wired or Wireless)

5) If using Wireless are you using the WZC (Windows Wireless Zero Configuration) to manage your wireless connectivity or another Third party Program?

6) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Network Card or USB Adapter you are using to connect with?

7) What troubleshooting steps have you already tried? (Please give full details)

The following information is needed from your system, you can post this in a text reply or use screenshots if you want (Screenshot instructions included at the end of this post):

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: command -or- cmd -depending on your Operating System
Type in: ipconfig /all -Hit ENTER - post results as <reply 1>
Type in: getmac -Hit ENTER - post results as <reply 2>
Type in: netstat -a -Hit ENTER - post results as <reply 3>
Type in: netstat -e -s -Hit ENTER - post results as <reply 4>
Type in: netstat -r -Hit ENTER - post results as <reply 5>
Type in: ipconfig -Hit ENTER - Write down your Default Gateway for the next step
Open your Web Browser and in the Address Bar type the Default Gateway Address from the last step and hit
.....enter. Default Usernames are usually left blank or set to admin, Default Passwords are usually admin or
.....password.
Find the section that gives the numerical address of your Default Gateway (NOT THE SAME ADDRESS AS THE
.....ONE YOU JUST WROTE DOWN - IS THE ISP DEFAULT GATEWAY) and write it down.
Go back to the Command Prompt Screen
Type in: pathping <insert default gateway here> -Hit ENTER - post results as <reply 6>
Type in: exit -Hit ENTER

POST ALL RESULTS IN A REPLY

----------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO POST A SREENSHOT

A. With the Window you want to capture on the top of all other windows
B. Press the PRINT SCREEN SYSRQ key on your Keyboard
C. Open Microsoft Paint (located in Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint)
D. when the program launches, on the Left toolbar click on the Square made of dashes
E. Now position your cursor (which has become a cross) out in the white area of the canvas
F. Right Click and select PASTE
G. This will put an image of the System Configuration Utility on the canvas
H. Click the FILE button in the upper left section of the screen and select SAVE AS
I. In the Save As Box Put whatever you want in the Filename Box
J. In the Save As Type box: Click the drop down menu and select JPEG
K. In the Save In Box (Very Top): Select your desktop
L. Click the Save Button
M. Go back to your Web browser and post a reply. In the reply Page after the area where you enter your ......text there is a File Attachments area. ]
N. Click the Browse Button and navigate to the file we just saved on the desktop.
O. Select that file and click the Open Button
P. Click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT BUITTON
Q. Then scroll down a little further and click the ADD FILE INTO POST button.
R. This will put some text into the post similiar to this: [attachmentid:1234321

S. And That is how to Post a Screenshot

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
1)Windows XP Fuly updated and both service packs

2)Compaq PCTEL Platnium V.90 modem

3)I dont no

4)LinkSys BEFSR81 Wired

5)No

6)Microsoft Network Adapter SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX)

7)None really they didnt make any sense

Windows IP Configuration

Hostname:Bonkers
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Tune:Unknown
IP Routing Enabled:No
WINS Proxy Enabled:No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection specific DNS Suffix:tamabay.rr.com
Description:SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX)
Physical Address:00-10-B5-72-57-08
Dhcp Enabled:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled:Yes
IP Address:192.168.X.XXX
Subnet Mash:255.255.XXX.X
Default Gateway:192.168.X.X
DHCP Server:192.168.X.X
DNS Servers:65.42.X.XX
65.42.X.XX

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
http://img.photobuck...zillaxx/pc2.jpg

http://img.photobuck...zillaxx/pc3.jpg

http://img.photobuck...zillaxx/pc4.jpg

http://img.photobuck...zillaxx/pc5.jpg

Edited by SirNight33, 15 January 2006 - 07:20 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
These tests look Fine you shouldn't be having any speed problems. Try this Ping test also:

With your Router connected

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: ping 66.210.130.10 -l 1250 -n 300
Hit Enter
Copy the results back here. <reply 1>

With the router disconnected and only the modem connected
Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: ping 66.210.130.10 -l 1250 -n 300
Hit Enter
Copy the results back here. <reply 2>

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
packets sent 109 received 104 lost=5 4% loss

aprrox round trip time in milliseconds min:57ms max 187ms average 106ms

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You were supposed to do the tests With the router hooked up and Without the router hooked up so we could see if there was a marginal loss between the two tests.