Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I tell if I have AceBot?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Misty M

Misty M

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi, This is only my second post and there are very few people less computer literate than me. Anyway, I had a Dr. Watson Postmortem warning a few days ago. Have checked everything I can so far, I have MS Antispyware, Northon Anti-virus, and the Firewall which comes with XP. I have updated Norton & run scans with both it & Antispyware. Nothing shows in either scan report.

The reason why I think I may have an AceBot Trojan, is first of all the Dr. Watson warning, & then when I was powering up the PC I got a pop-up warning that my Firewall might be turned off. I checked & it wasn't. After Googling AceBot and doing some research, I found that the Dr. Watson error & Firewall warnig could be indicative of having AceBot on my system.

I have 2 questions: How do I find out if I have this Trojan & if so how do I get rid of it? I really am not very computer bright, have only had this PC for 8 months & am still in the learning process. So many computer terms that most competant people know & take for granted go right over my head at times. I really do need things explained to me in very plain language & step by step.

Hope my questions are not too "out there" & that someone can guide me along.

Thanks so much!

Misty M in Vancouver

Advertisements

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
These forums are made FOR people that don't know too much about computers so don't worry about it :tazz:.

You should post this on the Malware Removal forum rather than this one. It has malware removal experts that can help you much more extensively. Try that!

P.S. You should get Spybot and F-Prot Antivirus. They are good for removing things like those and are very easy to use.

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you! I have A2 Malware Scan. Do you think that will tell me if I have this Trojan? Is there a link to a Malware forum or can I just Google it?

As I said, I'm not too 'puter bright & seem to waste hours of time searching around the net for stuff.

Many thanks,

Misty M in Vancouver

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
The malware removal forum is at this same website, a part of the G2G Forums.

The link to the Malware Forum is here : http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37

Good Luck.

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you again! Am going there now!

Misty M Vancouver