Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

issue with geforce playing video

• Please log in to reply

LuTze

LuTze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi everyone...
I am having a problem with my video playback on any application (media player, real, quicktime...etc) I am running a geforce 6200 128 pci which has caused me no end of problems but fixed most of them now 4 cards later (Thanks PC World) all my video causes severe system slowdown. it doesnt freeze coz when i get to close the player, performance is returned to normal. I have spent hours on the phone to pc helpline to get it to work this well, and now games work fine. done all the updating and reinstalling but nothing ...could any one find it in their heart to put me out of my misery!!! thanks all, :tazz:

Advertisements

Roëll

Roëll

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
ack.. its startin to be somethin for me to post this evrywhere lmao... err.. i hope this works.. at least it did for me.. same kinda symptoms..

click desktop then my computer (or my computer if you have the thing on yer desktop already, anyways.. go to my computer :) )
on the left side of the screen it says view system information click it
now the computer gives a new window with lots of tabs,
system restore, automatic updates,remote,general,computer name,hardware,advanced
click the advanced tab
now you see a part with performance with as a lil help underneath it : visual effects
click the dialogue box beside the thing that says : settings
again you get another window with 2 tabs with 1 of them saying advanced and again you have to click advanced :)
now you see something with process scheduling and virtual memory @ ###
underneath theres a part that says custom sixe and 2 boxes where you can fill in numbers..
you need the second 1 that says maximum size
change the maximum to 9999 and it will give you a prompt of what the true maximum can be
now input the prompted figures into the maximum field thing..
press apply or ok and the computer will tell you to restart ( if not just restart anyways lol )
press yes and the restart commences.. so be sure to save your files before pressing yes / oke
the computer will restart and the operation has been finished.

immediate effects will be noticeable.. at least.. thats what i noticed... also it fixed my problem when i was havin same with vampires masquarade : bloodlines.. ( monster size game lol ) also all my vids are goin quite fast.. loading of them.. playin.. al plays relaxed :tazz:..

Edited by Roëll, 15 January 2006 - 03:45 PM.

LuTze

LuTze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well,thanks for the help i did speed my graphics up noticeably but the severe slowdown still goes on unfortunately. it only stops when i log off my username and log on again. i have masquerade too but only given it a short quick play so far ...must try it again. All my games run fine including guild wars and civ 4 its only when i try to play video on any format...avi,mpeg etc. any other ideas would be graciously appreciated... also iwas told the the initial size of the virtual memory should be 1.5 x your ram in my case 638 ram = 947 vitual memory is this right??:tazz:

Edited by LuTze, 16 January 2006 - 07:49 AM.

Roëll

Roëll

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
dang... thought it might help... about the initial size.. proly it should be that way.. but its more fun to have a speedy computer that can handle a speedy frameset :tazz:... i hope some1 else comes up with somethin.. darn school filled me mind... ttyl maby.. hope it gets solved soon.. :)