Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports

• Please log in to reply

Jad Leuven

Jad Leuven

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Plugging and unplugging USB cables I did something that has stopped the operation of all four USB ports. When I check the system hardware everything is operating as it should. Is this a mother borad problem? Could I have cooked something?
Jad

Advertisements

Jad Leuven

Jad Leuven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have followed the advice of other posts about USB problems....Doesn't soleve my problem. I susect I have somehow burned a connection with the mobo....but can't understand why all four porst are now out.
Jad

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will be useful if you post what you have done to try to correct this

Jad Leuven

Jad Leuven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith
I did what you had recommended to someone else: Click start then right click my computer, click properties then hardware, click device manager, scroll down to universal serial bus controller, click +

left click then right click an entry, click delete, confirm, repeat this until all the entries are gone.

Reboot the PC then plug a USB lead in

In my case, it made no difference.
Jad

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Could we also have your system specs as well please?
In particular, the make & model of the motherboard, or if you have a big name computer (such as Dell or HP etc), then the make & model of the computer.

Jad Leuven

Jad Leuven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks to all who offered help. I resolved the problem today with a USB cardbus adapter.