The performance of Win XP has slowed down. IE has slowed down - where it opens pretty quickly but when I type in an URL it takes a long time (1+ minute) to get to the site. On the other hand opening IE from MSN Messenger (to check Hotmail) or Google desktop (for a search term) is pretty fast like it used to be. Maybe I am imagining this but seems like Outlook is slow too. Interestingly, when I begin to type a URL in the IE address bar it used to give me a list of URLs matching the pattern as I type - doesnt happen any more.
When I boot up Win XP - I get this - DEP closed the Windows Generic Host process etc - pop up error like 10 times. Each time it sends a report to Microsoft.
Here are the remedial actions I tried - with no effect:
1. I have Microsoft anti-spyware installed. Runs a scan every day - no spyware found.
2. Have Computer Associates EZ Anti Virus installed - no viruses found. Idid install it AFTER I saw all these issues started - but scan has shown no viruses on the machine.
3. Downloaded Ewido and ran scan - found and cleaned some spyware - now the PC is clean
4. Ran Microsoft Malware scan - nothing found
5. Used Windows Update - made sure the OS and Office were up to date. Cleaned up temp files, cookies etc thro IE.
6. Based on article on Msft support - downloaded and ran Win XP hotfix for the generic host process error - no change
7. Checked startup menu - got rid of anything I thought shouldnt start up
8. Downloaded and ran Prcview to check what starts up from registry or is running - didnt find anything suspicious - except for something called Digital Line Connect - not sure what it is so left it running.
9. Regularly check RAM and CPU performance - dont see anything suspicious.
10. Based on a post I saw here - reinstalled IE from CD and rebooted - no difference
11. I also run Zone Alarm firewall - sets my machine in stealth mode supposedly
I am at a loss on what to do. This laptop used to be blazing fast on everything .......... please help
Edited by brillman, 15 January 2006 - 09:31 AM.