Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Doesn't Start

• Please log in to reply

Balbowa

Balbowa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an external hard drive. It is a 3.5" Seagate 200gb internal, in a Metal Gear Box enclosure. For about a month, the hard drive worked fine with no problems. Recently, however, the hard drive does not start every time it is turned on. What I mean is that the power will work, and the HD will spin, but it is not recognized by windows. I have to turn it on and off for a few minutes at a time before it will finally "start" and be recognized by windows. Sometimes it won't start for about 10-15 minutes. Is there something I can do that will fix this?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
My guess would be that the enclosure box board has a problem. It could also be a problem with its external power supply.

You could test the drive by putting it in the system. Also you could try another enclosure. Make sure that the enclosure can handle that size drive too. If you cook the box you will have problems both with the box and the disk.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...are you plugging the drive into the usb port...then turning the power on? or turning the power on first then plugging it in?

the right way is to plug it in...then turn it on...and before you shut down the computer...you should turn it off..then shutdown windows

Balbowa

Balbowa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the replies...
As far as testing it in my computer, I am unable to do that because I have a laptop. Yes, the hard drive is connected via USB.

I do plug the HD in before I turn it on, although i usually leave it on when i restart my computer.

I think I may end up trying another enclosure if the problem doesn't fix itself.