Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winlogon error

• Please log in to reply

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
For the past week I have been having the follwoing problem; turn on computer, at logon screen and error appears which states; winlogon.exe application error, instruction at 0x7c910370 referenced memory at 0x000000b8. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program. If I click on either OK or CANCEL the computer reboots. Here is what I have done so far. Ran 4 different virus programs all resulting in nothing found. Have run adaware, spybot, ewido, cleanup with nothing found, (the cleanup obiviously found tons of temp files but that is to be expected). These programs where run both in regular and safemode. I have also created a new admin logon and deleted the previous one. I am about ready to reformat and reload, which is a pain but if I need to I will. I have also all the latest bios and driver updates.

If this is posted in the wrong area, sorry, first time to this site.

antec sonata II/450 ps/abit an8 ultra/2-diamondmax 10 200 gig hd/2-512 ddr400 dimms crucial/amd x2 3800/eforce 6800 gs pcie video/2-nec dvd rw/windows xp home sp2

Edited by senor dobyns, 16 January 2006 - 12:17 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello senor dobyns...

Search for winlogon.exe using Search from the Start Menu...have it search All files and folders (including hidden folders and sub-folders). If the file is found in any folder other than the C:Windows\System32 folder let me know.

wannabe1

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Only in the said folder, last modified 8/2004 with a size of 491 kb.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
senor dobyns...

Ok...just wanted to make sure it wasn't a virus...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 January 2006 - 03:03 PM.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I will have to do this when I get home tonight, as soon as it is done I will let you know. Thanks again for your help and I hope we are moving in the right direction.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I attempted this and nothing happened; no asking for the cd or anything like that. I went to a command prompt back to the root directory and the result was; windows file protection could not intiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [the rpc server is unavailable.].

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this. Start Internet Explorer.

On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options". On the "Advanced" tab, click to select the "Disable Script Debugging" check box in the Browsing section. Click "OK", and Reboot.

wannabe1

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Disable script debugging is checked for both explorer and other. I primarily use firefox; does that make a difference?

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I also checked the error code with the ms website and was told that sfc /scannow might not of worked due to a missing cert which i just pulled and tried to install on two reboots it made no difference.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you speaking of the Verisign Root Certificate?

Advertisements

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't think it was the verisign, but I am not sure; I just followed the directions per the ms website. I am trying to look on my old computer but it seems to be thinking without responding right now. Regardless of my attempt, I was still unable to execute the sfc command.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes it was the verisign.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The one thing that I did notice and not sure if this has anything to do with it is that it has an expiration date of 1/7/04.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you put the space in the command?

sfcspace/scannow

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts