Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Thunderbird 1.5

• Please log in to reply

bharwell

bharwell

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
:tazz:

Has anyone recently switched from OE to Thunderbird? Are you glad you did? Have you experienced problems?

Just curious what the general census is.

Thanks,

Bryan

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have used both and in my opinion....anything is better than outlook express...but thunderbird in general is easy to configure..and the spam filter's work alot better....it kinda boils down to how you feel about it...since thunderbird is free...i say dl it and play with it for a while....if you like it...keep it...if not...chuck it

bharwell

bharwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
What is is about Outlook Express that is so bad?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in my experience it's not configurable, it doesn't really have much spam blocking or mail protection at all...it is however easy to set up in most cases...and...since it's integrated with windows....it works with all your office software pretty well....but...i dunno...it has always felt "unfinished" to me....i guess i'm just not a big fan of OE...i use regular outlook here at work...but that's just cuz it's easier for me...like i said...the debate between thunderbird and outlook generally boils down to the fact that thunderbird has a good spam filter, and it's open source....and that OE has no spam filter to speak of...and...well it's free with windows so there's no cost associated......

bharwell

bharwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, not to beat a dead horse here...the spam filter sounds good. I've recently spent the past week getting rid of spywarestrike and other stuff I think with the help of g2g. I'm assuming it's possible that I got infected via email??? Don't know what you mean that it is open source?

So If I try it, It looks easy enough to change. It is asking me to import from OE. If I find that it is not user friendly, i.e. my family usually gets mad at me when I change something, hence the caution, is it just as easy to change back to OE?

Or, you said you just use regular outlook. Should we just use that?

On another note, my son who is playing computer games on the other computer in our office here, is very upset. He's currently playing Rome, Total war. He was about an hour into it and a Anti-malware window popped up asking him if he wanted to clean the file. His game shut down and he lost everything he had been doing. He is telling me it happens on all the games he plays. They play alot of CS source. How can we avoid this?

thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..open source means that anyone can write programming for the software and anyone can use it...and well...google open source...a plethera of knowledge will come your way...and by using thunderbird..you don't have to get rid of OE...they can both be used at the same time....it will import your OE settings...but not remove them from OE

as for the last question...let me get back to you on that

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to the internet and browsers forum, I think thats where it fits best.

As for your last question, what is the anti-malware program you are using? The one that gave you the pop-up?

ScHwErV :tazz:

bharwell

bharwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello and thanks for putting me in the right spot.

In answer to your question, it was/is ewido. Since fixing this computer, I installed both ewido and adaware on the other one. But, it is ewido that keeps popping up and shutting down the game.

Thanks

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If Ewido says you have something, belive it.

Update, boot to safe mode, do a full system scan. Let it fix whatever it asks about.

Its gotta be finding something, otherwise it wouldnt pop up.

If that doesnt do it, itll be time to have a peek at your HJT log and see what you got yourself into.

bharwell

bharwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
When it pops up, it does ask if it should clean the file. Which we say yes. This is good of course. It is doing what I want it to.

However, Does it have to shut down the game they're playing?

When My son is off that computer, I'll run a hijaxlog. Should I post it to this conversation?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Nope, HiJackThis logs go in the malware removal forum :)

By booting into safe mode to run the scan, you ensure that anything bad is not resident in memory and that windows doesnt hold those files. I would recommend that first :)