Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interesting problem with files staring with "quick"

• Please log in to reply

chinger006

chinger006

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello all, I have a most peculiar problem.

I am missing files and folders that start with the heading "quick". I can't download them, I can't run them. They simply will not work. Thus, my Quick Launch bar is missing and I can't run Quicktime...and these are the only two I know of so far. I try creating the folders for Quick Launch, but Windows says that they are already there, though clearly they are not. Quicktime refuses to run properly even though all the files are supposedly there. It's in my system tray and on the add/remove programs list, but not in Program Files. Because Quicktime is not working properly, Itunes is not working properly either. I think this is a byproduct of the winfixer worm or something of the like, but everything else has been repaired and is working properly and quickly, so i really have no idea why this is occuring. If someone could give me some advice and possibly a hand, that would be awesome.

I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum for this, but it seems to be a windows based problem, so thus I'm here.

Thanks so much!

Advertisements

chinger006

chinger006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No one can help me?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does this happen for any file starting with q? make a text file on your desktop named test...do you see it? now change the title to quest...does it disapear?

chinger006

chinger006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It simply won't let me rename the file. And then when I try to delete said file, it will say "cannot read from source file or disk" but if I refresh the desktop, the file is gone.

If I try to create it with a "q" right off the bat, the file stays, only called "new text document", but when I refresh the desktop, it's gone.

Edited by chinger006, 17 January 2006 - 04:53 PM.

chinger006

chinger006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
http://www.geekstogo...d39-t87556.html

The member on this page seems to have the same problem as I do, but the advice was removed because it wasn't a staff member...anyone know what it was?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You likely have a rootkit infection, just as that user did.

Please, all of you, follow the instruction atop the malware forum, then post there with a thread entitled POSSIBLE ROOTKIT INFECTION

One of our malware experts will help you out.