Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

service pack 2 problem?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dp2

dp2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

My computer is having problems since I have installed service pack 2. I don't know for sure if it is related with sp2 but now my programs are opening very slowly and my mouse is freezing every 2 seconds for 1-2 minutes when I'm switching from one program to the other.

I have tried everything listed in the malware removal forum (anti-spyware, antivirus, registry programs etc) but the performance doesn't seems to improve..I didn't get any answer for my hijact this log file but I doubt this would have solved my problem...

I.m not sure what to do anymore but does anybody knows if a Genuine version of windows XP would solve the problem? Yesterday I have noticed that the guy who sold me my computer have installed an illegal copy of XP...I have noticed this after going on the microsoft site and pass through the "Genuine test"....my version of windows didn't pass the test..

Thanks for your help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
dp2...

Because the version of XP you have is pirated, I cannot offer you assistance...however, I can offer you some advice. Go back to the person who sold you the illegal software and demand they replace it with a legal version. Turn them in to Microsoft if they fail to comply.

Your only other option is to purchase a legal version and install it on your machine.

Sorry...It is the policy at Geeks to Go that we not provide support for pirated software or other illegal activities.

wannabe1

dp2

dp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok thanks...I wont be able to go back to the guy who sold me this computer...but I wil get a Genuine version of XP anyway. My guess is that this will solve a few problems.

Thanks for your assistance

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome, dp2...hope everything works out for you. If you need further assistance after installing the legal version, come on back!

wannabe1

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Topic closed.