Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With Old PC

• Please log in to reply

DjDarein

DjDarein

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, iv just tried to use an old system that i used to use.... however when i now try and use it, the monitor does not come on. :tazz: power to the unit is there, and you can hear the hard drive... however there is no BIOS beep (cant remember if theres supposed to be one). iv tried everything i can think of, monitor does work as i have tried it on my laptop.

Any help would be appreciated..

Dj Dare'in

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I got a bunch of really old( think 486's)puters at a auction on time that not a single one would boot up. I found that all of them had dead motherboard batteries in them so they lost their BIOS. Once the Bios is lost you cannot get it back without doing some unusual tricks. I have taken a running old compaq puter and quickly transferred the Bios chip to an identical dead computer's motherboard and got it running.Putting the dead chip in the still running puter did reporgram the chip so the puter would still boot up. When i tried this a dozen or so times i only got it right 3 times. Its really not worth the effort but it was a challenge i want to try doing.

SRX660

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I got your message but i prefer to answer here so others can see my answers.

The bios chips on motherboards are not meant to be easily removed. Yes they can be removed but it usually takes specilized tools and very careful work. As i said before it can work but i only get a 30% working rate so far. Most of the time i was working on old computers that were not even worth the time to do this. I just heard it was possible and wanted to see if it would work. I made a mini prybar out of a dental pick that has worked for me. If you are not into working with computer hardware this is not even worth trying. I have tried most things like replacing motherboard caps, changing PCI slot card holders, and most other pieces simply because i wanted to know if its possible. This stuff is not feasible to do unless you have readily available parts to work with. I buy lots of computers at auctions which give me the hardware i can work with cheaply. I have a garage that is filled with old puters to play with.

I did reply to your thread but i really feel that you should not attempt this unless you have all the spare parts you need. If you just want a old puter that runs buy a similar puter like yours off ebay and use your old parts to make a good running old puter.

SRX660

DjDarein

DjDarein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

thanks for your help, i do have 2 old machines that i can rip apart! lol so i might see if i can work some magic....