Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With HiJacking Problems...

• Please log in to reply

nerase

nerase

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all, I have to say a big THANK YOU to the site administrators who are responsible for posting the detailed instructions for dealing with malware. A few days ago, my system fell prey to the about:blank hijacking malware. It seemed nasty at first, but I think i've been able to resolve most of the problems by following your detailed instructions. :tazz:

SO far, I have run the following programs:

ad aware
cw shredder
spybot S&D
AVG anti virus
Trend Housecall
TDS-3

These programs found a trojan virus (small m something or other) and coolwebsearch files among other bad things that I can't remember the names of. I removed all of the bad files, and I also installed the windows update SP1a. I even installed the firefox browser (to prevent further hijackings)

Although the worst of the problems seem to have been resolved, I still notice that my system is running slow. Particularly when I start up the firefox browzer or when I attempt to move from one web page to another. Do you think part of the problem (with my slower system) might be that I installed the new browser without removing the IExplorer software from my hard-drive??

I just cant' figure out why my system (when i'm on the net) is running more slowly than it was before. I'm worried that there might still be some bad files on my system. ;)

Could someone please analyze my log and let me know if there are still problems on my system?

Thanks a million!
nerase

(see below for hijack this logfile)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 3:49:29 PM, on 12/02/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\TheWeatherNetwork\WeatherEye\WeatherEye.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4B4BF72B-6C7F-079E-30DB-E0CDC91EBCF6} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\addio.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WeatherEye] C:\Program Files\TheWeatherNetwork\WeatherEye\WeatherEye.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

Advertisements

nerase

nerase

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
one more thing...

I also received a windows yellow hazard sign (with exclamation mark), claiming that my virtual memory is low and stating that in order to increase my paging file (?) some attempts for memory (from other programs) will be denied. What does that mean? Why do I have a problem with my virtual memory, now? I've never seen that sort of warning message before.

Maybe i've just installed too many programs to clean up my system, and they're eating up too much of my memory??? (I have about 6 or 7 new bug killing programs installed)

:tazz: