Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extra portable hard disk storage

• Please log in to reply

kram

kram

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I want to buy extra hard disk storage space for my laptop.

I was looking at USB2.0 external hard disks as the main option. I also read reviews where some folks have talked about using HD enclosure, buying a separate hard disk and getting it cheaper. Some also point to the fact that HD enclosures can come with fans and that helps the system long lasting.

Any references on the topics or suggestions would be welcome.

Advertisements

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have one 3.5 External Harddisk too though i would recommend you getting a 2.5 as a 3.5 external is very big and bulky, heavy too. 2.5 uses laptop hard disks while 3.5 uses desktop hard disks. You are using a laptop so i would recommend a 2.5, you do not need to buy ready in a package external hard drive with casing, you can make one yourself by buying a hard drive casing and a hard drive.

kram

kram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was looking at 3.5" as the capacity available seems substantially higher. I need a 250 or 300gb hard disk - and I dont intend to travel with the backup hard disk.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have 4 such devices that I put together myself buying an enclosure (case) and the HD of my choice. All work well and are plug and play between W2K Pro and WXP Pro systems. I did a lot of research, considered off the shelf units (enclosure with hd, like Western Digital, Seagate, Simpletech, Maxtor and others make). After reading many reviews and opinions, I went with making my own. Glad I did based on the difficulty of troubleshooting the off the shelf units with people here in the forum. An Ads USB2 enclosure now costs about $20.00, and you can get a 300 G HD for around $160.00, a 200 G HD for less than $100.00. This is the way to go.

kram

kram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanx. I finally ended up placing an order for:

a. 250 gb seagate barracuda ata drive. 7200rpm w 8mb cache
b. Black AMS VENUS hard disk enclosure

I read some good reviews about this enclosure unit - linky:
http://www.directron...ds2316b2bk.html

Any inputs on the choice?

Thanx, Kram