Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control Panel Screwed?

• Please log in to reply

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi
When i try and use the controll panel i get the message Explorer.EXE - Application Error and the normal memory address's on MS errors and cant use CP again usally the first time i use it after boot up it works then not again, no virus or wares that would be messing it up as far as i know, have AV and firewall and XP is upto date, any iders as this has happend before so it must be somthing i am doing with config or a config a tweaking program is doing. Any help would be GREAT!
Thank
Harry McLaren
www.hazclan13.com

Attached Thumbnails

• error.JPG

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
temporarily copy all files ending in .CPL from the c:\windows\system32 folder...open control panel...it should be empty, If it opens, slowly add a couple back until the error repeats.

When the error repeats, you should be able to isolate the problem child. You will need to restore it from an original source (depending on what it is, the source will be different).

Haz

Haz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thank for the advise i tryed it and the files just reapeared once i removed them, any other iders? Or should i do it under safe mode? Would AV or any other program keep putting the files back?
Haz

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dang, so it does....darn that windows file protection anyway.....well, crud. I do not think it replaces third party control panel applets.

Can you do a print screen of c:\windows\system32 with the cpl files highlighted...

Haz

Haz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Yeah sure (see below) i did just remove the 3ed party ones but still got the error. By tweaking XP could i of screwed it up?
Haz

Attached Thumbnails

• screener001.jpg

Edited by Haz, 17 January 2006 - 05:47 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you already remove
tweakxp3
sijo.cpl
imagedrive.cpl
quicktime.cpl
nvtui.cpl
?

These are not windows default cpls....I do not think Windows file protection will replace them

Haz

Haz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok removed all of them and just left the ones that come back. and these where left (see below) so the are 7 that dint go back.
But now when i click on CP it dont load atall nothing.
Haz

Attached Thumbnails

• screener002.jpg

Haz

Haz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok just went into Network Connections and clicked up and got the same app error as before.
Haz

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?