Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't reboot within 1-2 hours of shutting down

• Please log in to reply

coop

coop

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I work in an office where it is required from time to time to shut down our computers to reboot the server...kind of a network reset.
Whenever I am required to turn off my computer (shut right down), it won't boot up again for about 1-2 hours. When I do try to start my computer during this time, the lights on the case turn on as if the system is going to start up, then they all blink, the system fan continues to run but nothing appears on the screen. As mentioned, this will happen for a couple of hours then the computer will boot. When I actually get the boot to happen, a black screen appears where it says that "overclocking has failed" and I have to chose to to either press "F1" to start the computer as is or, press "F2" to reset defaults. I usually hit F2 and my computer works fine.
I am definitely not overclocking my system, I have no idea why it is stating overclocking is failing.
Does anyone have any idea as to what is happening here?? :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you should contact the computer technician for your company, we arent here to replace your own tech support.

coop

coop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried giving our technical department a call but no one is answering. Perhaps this is because we don't have technicians on staff.
Thanks anyways!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well would love to help, but our TOS is specific on the subject, how can you have a technical department without technicians, who maintains the computers and the network someone must for example reboot the server and swap out drives and tapes etc. make backups.

If you have your tech dept. on site have you tried walking down to see them whereever they are, your manager should know where they are, its not your responsibility to repair your work computer they should do it for you as if you hurt yourself or damage equipment while doing it then thats not a good thing for anbody.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
scot...alot of american companies (small businesses) cannot afford to have or justify having on site networking staff..and therefore must contract that work out to local vendors....it sucks...but it is relatively common practice.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Quite sucky, i agree, still if its corporate then it should be done by a proffesional if you do it yourself you open a whole can of worms(i know here it would breach most health and safety laws to do it without the apporpriate training).

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
you may want to check the bios to see what the setting for your processor speed is? Then change accordingly. This is the first place I would look, but you must know the speed of the processor- before you change it.

coop

coop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate the help, I will give this a try and let you know.

coop

coop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried fixing this in the BIOS with no avail. Hung another hard drive and the same thing happened.
At this point I took the motherboard out and switched the processor. The new processor did it. About a year ago I had a power surge that wiped out my power source and motherboard. The processor was switched over to the new motherboard and it is pretty evident that it took a little hit in the surge.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Tech Staff
25th Jan 2006

Coop – Good Job –

I tried giving our technical department a call but no one is answering. Perhaps this is because we don't have technicians on staff.

You should take that – [Network Tech] – Position –Apparently it is still Open –

Jack123