Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Partitioning, Do you move My Documents or what?

• Please log in to reply

jabulani_jonny

jabulani_jonny

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Stupid question I know...I tried moving it to the partition where I want to store all my data apart from my OS and programs, but of course it won't move it. So do you just create a new My Documents folder on the new partition and move all your subfolders in there? What's the best way to do it to have your data on one partition and your programs on another? Thx for the help!

Jonathan

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, the easist way is to make a "My Documents" folder on the drive you want and just cut and paste everything from the "C" my documents to the new folder. I even install programs on my "D" drive instead of the "C" drive. XP will see them and let them work like normal. I have had some problems with some programs (Pinnacle comes to mind) that will not install on a different drive. Those i let install where they want to.

SRX660

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, the easiest way is to RIGHT CLICK on MY DOCUMENTS, choose PROPERTIES, and choose MOVE

My DOCUMENTS is a special kind of folder than behaves differently than others...the desktop and shortcut links are actually shell objects and behave differently

jabulani_jonny

jabulani_jonny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Aaaaahhhh, I knew that it was special and had some different behavior, that's why I couldn't just drag it to move it and all that. So if I go that route and choose move from the properties dialog, I imagine it will update links and all that right? So I won't have anything still referring to the My Docs in the old location.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's the way it is supposed to work

jabulani_jonny

jabulani_jonny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
K, so to make sure I do it right, should I go into Documents and Settings and move the whole folder for each logon, or just got to each logon's documents folder, ie. Shared Documents, Joe's Documents, etc. and just move those. I'm thinking just move the documents folders.

jabulani_jonny

jabulani_jonny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Umm, I'm not getting a move feature in Properties when I right click. You sure it's in there? I've got a General tab and a Sharing tab which gives me the options to share it on the network, not move it. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Found it, I was looking at the Documents folders at the bottom of the file tree. Thx for the help!

Edited by jabulani_jonny, 19 January 2006 - 09:27 PM.