Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

good Cpu for my Mobo

• Please log in to reply

SoulJa86

SoulJa86

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm slowly upgrading my system, and i wanna build one but thats latter in life, right now im just tryin to get some gaming down, using aida32 i checked what it said about my motherboard. this is all it wrote:

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
Product Information http://www.dell.com
BIOS Download http://support.dell.com

so i was wondering, whats a good cpu for this board.

any and all help is greatly appreciated

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is a 400MHz frontside bus socket 423 motherboard. It is limited to a Pent 4 2.0 processor as the fastest it will run. If you already have a 1.6 or higher processor you will not see much of any speed improvement on this puter. Probably the best thing you can do is install a gig of memory. This can get a bit expensive if the puter is running RDram. My suggestion is to run it like it is and save your money to buy a new computer.

SRX660

SoulJa86

SoulJa86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well i bought it from dell a year and half ago(maybe more), and i had the choice on what processor i wanted, seeing as money was kinda tight, i went for the 2.6Ghz celeron, where as i could of gotten a 2.4, 2.6, or 2.8, P4 processor, i donno how this whole mother board and cpu thing works, im still a beginer geek, but i dont understand why i could buy a 2.6 celeron if the board can only handle 2.0.

P.s. I did up my ram to 1.2 gig, and im running a 256 mg FX5500 video card, i just wanted to speed it all up with a cpu, because im still gettin some lag.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are so many variations of the 2400 series from Dell that i was just going by what you stated. You may have a motherboard that is capable of a P4-2.8, 533 bus processor. There is a big difference in speed between the celeron and the P4 because of the memory cashe on board the processor is 1/2 on a celeron, but normally you will not see any speed increase in the computer simply because you are not pushing it. The new games is where you see deficent processor power. If you really like gaming it is time to custom build a computer to your needs. You need to think in terms of the Dell XPS computer as a base for a gaming computer. Around $1000 will get you a basic good gaming computer. I have a friend that has spent $4000 on a puter that has the best of everything about 3 months ago. He now wants to install a new MB with a FX60 AMD processor, wants to overclock everything , and wants water cooling now. Theres close to another $2000 right there. I don't mind as he has the money and i get paid good to install everything.

SRX660