Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Starts in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I need some help! I was trying to download digital pictures, through my printer, onto my computer (my operating system is Windows 98). Well, my system locked up so I had to shut the system down. When I started the computer it came up in safe mode. There was no prompt asking me if I wanted to start up in safe mode, it just did it by itself (Dam* Gremlins!) How do I get my system to start up correctly? I have seen the prompt before asking if I wanted to start in safe mode, but this is the first time it has ever started in safe mode without asking me. Did I screw up somewhere? Can anyone help me before my wife finds out? Do you know how much trouble I'll be in if she finds out?

I would appreciate a VERY quick response!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try these :

Method 1

1. Click the Start button, click Run, in the Open box type msconfig and click OK.
2. Click the Advanced button.
3. Click Enable Startup Menu.
A check mark will appear in the box.
4. Click OK.
5. Click OK.
Choose to restart your computer when prompted.
6. When the system restarts, use the arrow keys to highlight Normal Mode, then press the <Enter> key.

Method 2

1. Insert a non-bootable floppy disk in the floppy drive, and restart your computer.
2. When the message Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready appears, remove the floppy disk from the drive.
3. Press the <F8> key twice.

The Windows 98 Startup menu appears.
4. Use the arrow keys to highlight Normal Mode, and press the <Enter> key.

Method 3

If Windows 98 fails to start, it will attempt to enter Safe Mode automatically on the following restart.

NOTE: To exit Safe Mode, click the Start button, click Shutdown, click Restart The Computer, and click Yes.

This isn't as fast as you wanted so I hope you are still in shape to try these out. :tazz:

Ron