Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Diskette Please insert bootable A:

• Please log in to reply

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
had a choice between on board or pci I chose pci of course, now here is the kicker, it boots up on the pci, gets to the windows pro screen where the status bar on the bottom fills up. then it freezes, then I hear the music that im in windows so I have to plug the monitor into the on board port and I have windows. Im about ready to find that chip, and cut it out with a pair of tin snips :tazz: gotta be some way to disble this intel graphics controller, on the flip side it is rebooting (for now) And I thank you soo much for your help, is there anything els I can try, there was nothing in the bios that I could see that would indicate a disable, only a choice of which one to select. Proceed!! :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you installed the drivers for the PCI card? If the card came with a cd, have it handy before you do this...if not, post back and we'll get the drivers downloaded beforehand.

Go to Device Manager and double click on the onboard video adapter. Under the "Driver" tab, click "Uninstall" and click "Ok"...accept the change if prompted. Then double click on the new video card and, under the "Driver" tab, click on "Update Driver", click "Ok" and have the Wizard search for the drivers for the new card.

wannabe1

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I happy to say that I am posting on the bad computer via graphics from my new video card, i cant thank you enough, hope this is the end to these issues, I belong to a few boards for various other interests, 1 of which i am a mod, and i can tell you first hand that this is what these boards are for, some help , some friendships, and most often than not genuinly good people. You have a fine community here, Thank you again for all your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad we got that sorted out, dinofh1... :)

I agree completely on all counts about these boards...I know I have found a home here. Geeks to Go is, in my opinion, the best computer help site on the planet! :tazz:

Thanks for letting us know things turned out so well for you...

wannabe1

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Oh Oh spoke too soon, as soon as I tried out a game the screen went black, I had to switch the monitor over to the on board port, it must have reset itself, hey at least I know it functions, and boots, but I really need to figure out how to disable the on board permanently, as I dont like the idea of my kids 7-9 unplugging the cables or going into device manager without me right there. so if you have any more thoughts let em rip.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Get things going again as you did most recently and then see if you can change the settings as suggested in post #11

Let me know if the drop downs are selectable then...

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Nope still unaccessable, but I did run the game and im still on the graphics card, but before i ran the game i uninstalled the drivers for the on board from device manager, im gonna reboot now and see what happens.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Lets go a step further and uninstall the onboard device from device manager...find it in there and right click on it, then select "Uninstall"...accept the change and reboot.

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thats pretty much what I have been doing in combination of the reboot, and switch monitor plugs, however i think I might have found a loophole, I set the graphics to a level that the onboard cant compete with, while it works with the new card. Ive rebooted, and and also ran the game, but low and behold under device manager the old onboard keeps comming back no matter how many times I uninstall it, BUT as for now it """seems """ to be working, im gonna do the kiss of death and button it up, but hopefully it will stay this way. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, Ive never had better customer service, shoot like 7 hrs worth now, Please dont send me a bill, I cant afford it :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Job!

Glad to help... :tazz:

If you have any further problems, come on back!!!

wannabe1

Advertisements

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
need to bup for personal reference, I need to shut down and go back and look at this, My printer croaked too, Im havinng bad times with my machines