Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't change the properties of CD RW from read only .

• Please log in to reply

joe echo

joe echo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: I'm using Windows XP home version. After having been using it for about a month I cannot figure out how to keep it from making files or graphics that I put on a CD RW read only, It will not allow me to change the name of a file nor will it allow me to delete that file or any of the rest of them. I have little or no use for my files to be made read only. What can I do to reverse this process and make the default so that it will not automatically make my files read only? I don't seem to have that trouble on any other part of the system. Any guidance you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Joe Echo :)

Edited by joe echo, 18 January 2006 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Read Only is to protect the data on the CD

You can copy a file to the hard drive then rename and edit it

If you use multi session to record the disc the you can use a programme like Nero to maka a data disc, when you reinsert this disc and click make data disc then it will update contents, you can remove any you do not want to keep on the disc and also transfer any you have updated

It should work that if you have copied a folder to disc, copied the folder back to the drive to edit, it will update the folder when you click make data disc