Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers

• Please log in to reply

sarahd711

sarahd711

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
So I'm trying to fix a problem I'm having with my computer reading DVD's, and I went through a Windows help wizard and it said that it's possible the driver needs to be updated (if I read correctly). I used Driver Detective which showed me which drivers need to be updated. Well, a lot of them do, lol, but I don't have $30 to pay for a membership in order to use their site to update my drivers.

The results told me the following:

Network adapters
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Bad Driver

Modems
Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem - Bad Driver

Universal Serial Bus controllers
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2 - Bad Driver
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4 - Bad Driver

Sound, video and game controllers
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio - Bad Driver
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7 - Bad Driver

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB - Bad Driver
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD - Bad Driver

Display adapters
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller - Bad Driver

Imaging devices
CX6330 Zoom Digital Camera - Bad Driver
USB Printing Support - Bad Driver
CanoScan LiDE 30/N1240U - Bad Driver

So I have no idea how to fix these without paying money, and I pretty much don't know what one-third of those are for. So if anyone could help me understand these results and help me fix it possibly, I would be entirely grateful. Also, is this why my DVD's won't play because a lot of the media drivers are bad?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't know anything specific about the software that you used..but i doubt it's trustworthy..

right click on my computer > manae > device manager..do you see any yellow ? or !

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
no, i don't see anything like that.

thanks for replying :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...in general (not always)...if device manager doesn't show anything....then your drivers are fine

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
well that's good to hear. that's one problem off my hands. but would you happen to know why the DVD/CD drive won't read any DVD's i put in? i really appreciate your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does it read cds? like music cds? do you get any errors when you put a dvd in?

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i've tried CD's and yes, they do work. i get no errors when i insert a DVD. however, when i go to play a DVD i get an error that tells me there is no disc in the drive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what software are you using to play the disks?

if you open up my computer and look at the icon for the dvd drive when there is a dvd in there...does it list a name for the disk? if you right click it and do properties does it show anything that suggests there's a disk in there?

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
my computer came installed with CyberlinkPowerDVD, so i use that. i've used it before and it has worked. i thought it might be the software not working, so i tried using Windows Media and also Intervideo WinDVD5, and i receive the same "no disk in drive" error when using those.

i have tried looking to see if my computer shows any suggestions of a disk being recognized, but it does not. properties shows nothing, either.