Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start-up issues and another one

• Please log in to reply

joe1167

joe1167

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
I have a Dell Dimension desktop running Windows XP with Verizon DSL and also have AOL. I'm having some problems at start up and beyond. Here they are:

1 - On start up, the AOL sign-in screen comes up automatically which never happened before. Now I should mention that we have a couple (or a few) versions of AOL on the computer because I had to reload it in the past and never uninstalled first (yes...I'm an idiot). The AOL screen that comes up is not the version we want to use. I X out of that and when I click the icon for the version I want to use, it will take about 50 or more clicks (literally) of the mouse before it comes up and then the PC runs very, very slow. I'm baffeled. Should I uninstall all AOL programs and just re-load the one we want to use? If so, what is the best way to uninstall (please see below why I ask this question) and will our favorite places be lost or do they carry over somehow? If not, is there a way to keep them?

2 - I paid for and downloaded a program called Speedupmypc and used it once or twice. Now at most start-ups, a grey box appears with a red X and reads "PSysProbe:: update, Section6, Section 6.1, Invalid argument to date encode." I tried to unistall it through the add/remove programs but was unable to. It appearred to be uninstalled but when I did a search, it still came up. Does anyone know how to uninstall this....or should I first uninstall the AOL and see if the problem disappears? Are the problems connected in some way?

3 - After start-up, for no apparent reason a grey box pops up (several times) titled "windows installer" and wants to install programs. When I "X" out of this, another grey box "product drivers" pops up and wants to install drivers. It takes about 5 or 6 clicks of X to finally get rid of this box. If we stay online long enough, this will happen again and again. I'm pretty sure the drivers are for an HP product. I have software for an HP camera and a printer loaded on the computer. Any ideas what I should do or look for here? If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it because I'm about ready to throw the computer out the window (really). Thanks again.
-Joe
Thanks

Edited by joe1167, 18 January 2006 - 03:48 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
1) that sounds like the best plan (removing all permutations of AOL then reinstalling the one you want) i am not sure how aol stores it's favorites so i cannot answer that question.

2) it's unlikely that uninstalling aol will help remove that software...but it's possible...have you tried using the installer to try to reinstall it (did you get this software on a cd or download?)

3) right click my computer > manage > device manager...do you see any yellow ? or !