Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best value performance upgrade

• Please log in to reply

thegeezer3

thegeezer3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For my system specs what would be the best way to get a noticeable boost in performance?

Would sticking in another stick of memory be the best bet? My system is about 3 years old.

I havnt played any games in ages and before i buy one would this system + your advised upgrade be good enough to play games in a medium setting? Dont really want to be dong the whole playing doom on the size of a stamp thing.

Any info most greatly appreciated.

Processor: Athlon XP 1250MHZ
MotherBoard:MSI MS-6380E 3 memory slots 6 system slots
Video: GeForce4 Ti 4400 128mb
Mem: 512mb
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Sound Blaster 5.1

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Adding more memory is always a good idea. You can go to http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp and run their Power Leap upgrade configurator for an idea about other possible options.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yes memory would help or you could also increase your paging file size for old computers sometimes this can help

or if possable have you ever thought of overclocking??
this can get more bang for your buck but CAUTION you must no what you are doing!!
if not it is advisable not to casue it can really harm your system if it cant handle it!!

thegeezer3

thegeezer3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for both suggestions. Im going to buy the memory and ill even look at overclocking via BIOS (i think the motherboard allows you to do some form of overclocking but nothing to extreme. Ill see how it goes).

Thank you
Adam

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the geforce 4 should be enough to play most games released at the first half of last year ok maybe medium to low, the system is kinda slow and games have got alot more demanding.