Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disconnection problems

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
[size=2]Hello, for over a week now I have had unwanted and frequent disconnections whilst online using a dial-up. I have changed the modem as I happened to have a brand new one available but this doesn't seem to have made a difference. I found that the printer was on the same port as the modem (1) so I changed the modem port to 5 without any improvement, I have also reinstalled the modem.
I'm not too well informed about this problem and don't know whether to suspect a software problem or the telephone system in the house. By this I am thinking about the total REN values in the house which I am a bit confused about as we had a BT Freestyle 2200 (3 set) bought us for Christmas and the book says the value is 1. I presume this means for all 3. I get the total to be 4 which is the limit but there are actually 5 phones now and an answerphone. As the problem has only been recent I am confused. Any idea's? :tazz:

Steve

Edited by Ste, 19 January 2006 - 05:30 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the connection then click properties to look for disconnect if idle or auto disconnect, which would happen after 20 mins

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
The menu headings you mention don't seem to exist in the properties info. I am using Ntl, dialer, don't know if you are familiar with that but the only relevant items I can find don't seem to give any clues- idle time before hanging up- never/enable hardware flow control-checked/modem error control-checked/modem compression-checked. However, and I am not sure as yet if will make a difference but under Ports/Com port/Resources/conflicting devices/Details-Interrupt Request 04 used by com port3. I found that two modems where listed so I deleted one. This would seem to be the answer but there was an entry for a second modem which I deleted yesterday which returned? Plus port 5 showed as not in use and nothing is using port 04 that I can see. Still confused but will see how it goes. What is the best way to clear the ports and start from scratch if I need to? I was just disconnected again whilst writing! ?

Steve.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there a redial if the connection is dropped box to tick

It may be that the modem listing which returns is the legitimate one

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Yes there is a 'redial if line is dropped' unticked under 'dial-up properties'. I also notice that under 'Modem properties/query modem, I get the message- 'The port that the modem is using is currently open by another application. Exit any aplication currently using port'. 'Intel® 82801EB LPC Interface Controller' shows under properies for the port com (3). I don't know what application this refers to?

Steve.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tick the redial box, click apply

How many connections are in network connections

On a web page, click tools, internet options, connections to check if always dial my default connection is applied

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hello again, there is only one connection for NTL in network connections. I have been waiting to see if the connection has stabilized after reinstalling the modem again but it isn't any different, it will stay connected for some time i.e. a long download, but seems to disconnect when different programs are involved. I am suspicious of the message under 'Modem Properties/ diagnostics- the port is currently open by another application-exit the application. I am thinking that this is interrupting the modem procedure but if this is a possibility, how do I find out which application is interrupting? Don't know what else I can say but it is very frustrating.

Steve.

Odge

Odge

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Its possible that your ISP is doing it.When I used dail-up I went from Earthlink to Netzero and back to Earthlink.With earthlink I never got disconnected and yet with Netzero I was disconnected constantly.Whats your ISP?

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hello, I am using NTL and haven’t had any problem for a long time, I am suspicious that another program is causing the problem but don't know where to start as far as finding the culprit is concerned. I might be wrong.