Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot to DOS

• Please log in to reply

Rhionin

Rhionin

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Is there any way that I can boot my computer to the DOS prompt before it loads windows? I don't have any old windows boot disks, but I do have blank floppy disks, so if there is some possible way to create one, or just load to DOS directly, that would be great! :tazz:

P.S. I have already tried holding F8, it takes me to the OS choices menu, but windows XP is my only choice.

Advertisements

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
At the F8 menu there should be a selection for safe mode command prompt only.
That usually works, If not try XP Quick Boot Diskette at http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Rhionin

Rhionin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yeah, the F8 setup doesn't work cause it still loads windows... and at that link, which one do I choose? There's a whole friggin lot and I'm not trying to reformat windows, I'm just trying to access DOS without accessing my hard drive at all.

Edit: If I try any of the links in the first section, it attempts to write to my floppy, but then I get this.

Disk error on reading Track 0, Head 0
Error in reading

Abort Retry Ignore

Edited by Rhionin, 21 January 2006 - 11:26 AM.

Rhionin

Rhionin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Bump, notice edit as well.