Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Center Uninstall

• Please log in to reply

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I installed Windows Media Center and realized i can not use it for what i had planned to. Now i am trying to uninstall media center and am having some trouble. I Inserted the disc and it tried to install it again, not uninstall. Also, i tried going through "add or remove programs" but there is no uninstall choice. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how did you install?

Was it a clean system? From within windows, from wmc setup?

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I installed it over windows xp pro with a windows media center disc that i still have.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If--IF--it can be uninstalled, in add remove control panel, check the SHOW UPDATES box at the top.

I do not know for certain that it can be uninstalled (and have heard that it cannot) Since I do not have a copy, a cannot verify.

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
alright well i think this along with other programs have messed my laptop up beyond repair, do you have any advice on formatting a hard drive without losing necesarry drivers and information of this type? I have a windows xp pro disc and cd key so i was thinking it would work to just reinstall windows xp pro. Will this format my hard drive without losing my drivers?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Media Center is just another flavor of XP. You should be able to do a repair installation of XP using your XP pro CD.

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I think things would be easier if i could format my hard drive. Would installing xp pro again format my hard drive without losing drivers, or is there another easy way to do this?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why are you concerned about your drivers? Why not just download new ones then reinstall XP? Or is it more than the drivers?

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I've formatted the hard drive on one machine before, and all my drivers were completely gone and it took a long time to figure out what drivers i needed and where to find them, and I still dont think ive gotten them all back. It was an incredible amount of work and I still dont think my computer is as good as it was when i got it. I was looking to avoid this problem, any way possible.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of computer is this? Brand name? Model number?

Also, anything showing yellow ! here:
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Finally, download EVEREST, and save a report
http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

Then attach it...we can likely tell you where to get any driver you need.

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
This is a Dell Inspiron 6000 model number PP12L. I am not sure if you meant to check the device manager and Everest report before or after formatting the hard drive. Before formatting, there is nothing yellow in the device manager, and attached is an Everest report. Please let me know if it is safe to format this hard drive.

Attached Files