Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Installation

• Please log in to reply

cory49

cory49

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well lemme start off with my system:

Intel Celeron D
MHz: 1000
RAM: 256 Mb

Okay, I purchased more memory for my computer because I updated to Windows XP and it was very very slow. I purchased another stick of RAM, 256Mb. I installed it into the computer, and turned it on. The set-up screen came on, and noticed the computer reconized the additonal Ram and said "512 mb" I clicked "Save Configuration, and exit". It started to load up, then went to a black screen. Then nothing happened. It stayed at the black screen forever. Even after a couple times restarting. It didn't get to the Windows professional screen or anything...

I then removed the RAM that was orginal to the computer and placed the new RAM into the first slot. I turned the computer on and just had a black screen, and was beeping.

The Ram I purchased was made by KINGSTON. I cannot remember what was orginal to the machine, but' I'll open it up tomorrow and get you a name.

Could it be possible I have bad Memory??

Thanks in advance,

Cory

Edited by cory49, 20 January 2006 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

cory49

cory49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Anyone?

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
yes it is possible that your new RAM is faulty, happens all the time in fact.

remove the new ram, put your old ram back in (same slot it came out of) and then start your pc. if it starts ok then get a warranty replacement for your new ram.

you said your comp is "beeping". this is your bios's way of telling you that somthing is wrong, in fact it is tellign you exactly what is wrong.

fins out what type of motherboard you have and google its beep codes for an answer

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you sure you bought the right memory for that computer. If this is a 1 gig celeron processor you should probably be running PC133 memory. If you bought a stick of DDR memory and tried using it the motherboard does not have the BIOS that can run the ram. It may se it but can't run it. The beeping is there to tell you that you are running incompatible hardware.

If you had purchased the correct memory it is probably a bad stick or the memory timing is different than what is in your computer. You may have been running PC100 memory. There are some PC 133 memory that will not run with a PC100 memory stick.

If you put the original memory back in the computer does it boot up?

SRX660

cory49

cory49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
If I put the orginal memory back into the orginal slot, it works fine with no problems.

Yes I purchased a PC133 memory, not DDR.

I am going to return the memory back to the store, and purchase a new one. I will report of any findings. Thanks,

Cory