Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service pack 2 Problem

• Please log in to reply

John Noe

John Noe

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yes I know it is good to update windows but i have windows xp media edition and the last time i tried to instal service pack 2 it erased my registry and pretty much so erased windows cause all that would come up was a command prompt so i need some ideas on how to fix this thank you

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have your original XP Media Edition disk?

Johanna

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
sorry if i seemed unclear lil tired my computer works fine i need some ideas on how to install service pack 2 to were there is a smaller chance of having my computer crash.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you are sure your computer has no malware, go ahead and install SP2. Do any critical back ups and make a manual restore point beforehand. Very few problems are being reported with SP2 anymore- it's been out for over a year. The easiest way to get it from the MS site. If you download the whole thing out of the catalog, it is 272,391Kb and will contain stuff you don't need, but won't hurt.

Johanna
You didn't answer my question about your XP cd? If you don't have it, let me know.

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
yea i have the one that came with my comp