Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Cant Connect/Access To Some Website

• Please log in to reply

mnemonicz

mnemonicz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,

I'm having problem when I tried to access to some websites/forums. For example: www.steampowered.com. On top of this, my steam installer cannot install completely, it keeps trying to update and failed to do so then eventually error messages like 'can't connect to steam server', etc. were prompted. I tried to ping / trace rout / path ping to www.steampowered.com it gave me "Destination host uncreachable". I don't exactly know if the problem lies on my end or actually on my ISP.
Would appreciate if anyone could show me some light on this.

Thank you. :tazz:

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
did you check your firewall settings and allowed hl launcher to acess the internet allong with steam?

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
can you veiw the page on other browsers, or on another computer? who is your isp?

mnemonicz

mnemonicz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

did you check your firewall settings and allowed hl launcher to acess the internet allong with steam?

I use zonealarm as firewall, after steam was installed, it requires internet, the zonealarm query whether or not allow it, and I allowed it to access the network.

can you veiw the page on other browsers, or on another computer? who is your isp?

I also use Maxthon (mainly), but it kinda integrate w/ IE, if maxthon is counted as other browser, it also can't access to those 'some' inaccessible sites. I only have one computer, but I had someone to access it for me and they can access it. Btw, today www.steampowered.com I think was really down, so even my friend's computer can't access it there. but there's another website to prove that the problem exist; www.rottentomatoes.com for e.g, I told him to try accessing that site and he was able to but on my site it's exactly the problem. My ISP is singnet (www.singnet.com.sg), country code: sg.

Thanks for you guys replies. Hope problem can be solved soon :tazz:

Edited by mnemonicz, 21 January 2006 - 11:06 AM.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
steampowered.com aint down today

mnemonicz

mnemonicz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for all the advises. However I only managed to get everything solved through a clean format. But the cause of the problem is yet a mystery. Could it be a driver issue? (just suspecting).

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
if it where a driver issue, you should still be able to veiw the page, it whould just look rather odd, you are getting a page arnt you? or just an error message?

mnemonicz

mnemonicz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

if it where a driver issue, you should still be able to veiw the page, it whould just look rather odd, you are getting a page arnt you? or just an error message?

It just says the page can't be found where the page is actually active if other normal/fine computer access it. Like now I'm able to access that page again. Don't exactly know how come it led to this, coulda been something I missed out where I had something wrong done it.