Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The windows Installer service could not be accessed

• Please log in to reply

Exodus

Exodus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I get an error message when trying to install a game

The windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assitance.

I cannot fix this problem. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Exodus!

Do you have Windows Installer 3.1 installed? If you don't, go HERE and download and install it. You can check in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the CONTROL PANEL to see whether or not you have Windows Installer 3.1 installed.

Fenor

Exodus

Exodus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Installed it, however the same error message popped up.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And this only happens when trying to install one specific game? If so, which game is it?

Fenor

Exodus

Exodus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This problem happened after I had succesfully installed all my other games, so either something went wrong or yes, its just this game. The Game is Half Life 2 : Game of the Year edition. I've been on their website but my problem seems to be a new one on them :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried installing a different game instead of HL2 and see if it is abled to be installed properly? Also, are you have any problems with the games that you 'successfully' installed prior to this problem? Do you remember the last game that you 'successfully' installed?

Fenor

Exodus

Exodus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried installing another game, but it installed with installshield wizard instead of Windows Installer. My games ran fine afterwards, and the last game I succesfully installed was Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type services.msc. In the new window that appears, scroll through the list until you get to Windows Installer and double-click on it to open it's PROPERTIES. What is listed as its STARTUP type?

Fenor

Exodus

Exodus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
erm...manual at the moment.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Check out the follow Microsoft Knowledge Base article which is about your problema nd has possible resolutions on fixing it:

"Error 1719: The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to add or remove a program

Fenor

Advertisements

Exodus

Exodus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Unfortunately I have already tried the solutions on that site, but none of the suggestions improved the situation in any way.
By the way, on that services bit where it is supposed to say "started" (I think) it sais "Stopped". When I try to start it I get an error, cant remember what is sais but I will post it when I get home >_<
*edit*
Error 997 : Overlapped I/O is in Progress

Edited by Exodus, 23 January 2006 - 03:35 PM.

edmans76

edmans76

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you go into cmd.exe and run this command -

msiexec /regserver

it will all start working again

FreedomSlug

FreedomSlug

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks, runnin msiexec /regserver resolved this for me!

rhino82

rhino82

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Ive tried the same thing as exodus however Im not trying install any games. Even when I download Windows Installer 4.5 im still not successful as the windows installer message comes up. It occurs when installing quicktime for itunes. Any help would be appreciated cheers

Electric_Zax

Electric_Zax

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem and I think that this have to do something with the fact that I was using a laptop. I have encountered this problem many times and on many different laptops (and only on laptops). There was this Microsoft KB that asks me to go to the Registry (Start -> run -> regedit), right-click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and see if "system" has full permissions. Usually where I encounter the problem there are 5+ different accounts (Administrators / Creator owner / Power users / system / users / +every account created). And they have different permissions. While on desktop PC there are 2 - System and Everyone. So basically you don't have permissions. I don't know which is the correct one, but if you give full permissions to everyone (maybe restart the laptop after that) you will be able to install it.

I always do
start -> run -> cmd
msiexec.exe /unregister *ENTER*
msiexec /regserver *ENTER*

and I scan for viruses before I try the thing above. I hope this helps and you may remember how the permissions were before you change them and change them back afte that. I don't know how good those full permissions are if you refer to security.